From: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: "Trusted contributor model"
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 17:53:35
1 On 22.7.2022 18.17, Alec Warner wrote:
2 >
3 > Who decides which contributor gets access to which package?
4
5 I imagine the person / project who has been proxying them until that
6 point. Even if the contributor gets a special access to a single
7 package, you'd still have a @gentoo.org maintainer proxying - if there's
8 an increasing amount of bug reports and poor work after commit access is
9 given, this proxy sees it and can request removal of access and start
10 teaching the contributor through reviews again. I'm aware there could be
11 some lazy people requesting it immediately, but let's think of the
12 positives and not paint it black quite yet.
15 > Is there a flow to eventually onboard contributors as developers?
16
17 It'd help combined with my 2nd RFC of the original post, yes. But I
18 believe some contributors would be fine with this arrangement too, where
19 they get to keep package(s) of their interest in a good condition
20 without having to tackle the quiz.
21
22 Anyway I only see positives for someone on the road of becoming a
23 developer with this approach.
26 > Why are the contributors not developers themselves, just with scoped
27 > ::gentoo access?
30 Remind me again, didn't we do this with arch testers historically? And
31 how did that work out? (This isn't a negative tone, genuinely asking
32 YOUR perspective)
33
34 I wouldn't mind this at all, but in a way I guess we'll want to identify
35 people who a) have passed the quiz & interview, b) has full tree access.
36
37 -- juippis

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature