From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 09-10-2012
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 09:02:11
1 >>>>> On Tue, 25 Sep 2012, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2
3 > - Package names:
4 > Our current spec forbids that package names "end in a hyphen
5 > followed by one or more digits". This isn't consequent, since it
6 > still allows PN to be e.g. "foo-1a" which looks like a valid PF.
7 > OTOH, there's no technical reason for this limitation (backwards
8 > compatibility issues taken aside).
9 > Since this issue is open since more than five years, I believe that
10 > it's time to ask the council for guidance in what direction we
11 > should go:
12 > a) Drop the limitation entirely (possibly in a future EAPI).
13 > b) Make it stricter, i.e. disallow package names ending in a
14 > hyphen followed by anything that looks like a valid PVR.
15 > This is current Portage behaviour, and the tree complies with
16 > it, too.
17 > c) Leave the spec as it is (and make Portage comply with it).
18 > See bug 174536 for details.
19
20 Actually, there's also:
21 d) Require a) for Package managers and b) by tree policy
22 (Postel's Law, brought up by mgorny). Practically, this would
23 mean that repoman would reject "foo-1" as package name, but the
24 rest of Portage would accept it.
25
26 Ulrich