From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 09-10-2012
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 12:02:28
1 >>>>> On Tue, 25 Sep 2012, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2
3 > In two weeks from now, the council will meet again. This is the time
4 > to raise and prepare items that the council should put on the agenda
5 > to discuss or vote on.
6
7 > Please respond to this email with agenda items. Please do not
8 > hestitate to repeat your agenda item here with a pointer if you
9 > previously suggested one (since the last meeting).
10
11 I've two items:
12
13 - Allow using EAPI 5 in the tree.
14 Portage supports EAPI 5 since version 2.1.11.19.
15
16 - Package names:
17 Our current spec forbids that package names "end in a hyphen
18 followed by one or more digits". This isn't consequent, since it
19 still allows PN to be e.g. "foo-1a" which looks like a valid PF.
20 OTOH, there's no technical reason for this limitation (backwards
21 compatibility issues taken aside).
22 Since this issue is open since more than five years, I believe that
23 it's time to ask the council for guidance in what direction we
24 should go:
25 a) Drop the limitation entirely (possibly in a future EAPI).
26 b) Make it stricter, i.e. disallow package names ending in a
27 hyphen followed by anything that looks like a valid PVR.
28 This is current Portage behaviour, and the tree complies with
29 it, too.
30 c) Leave the spec as it is (and make Portage comply with it).
31 See bug 174536 for details.
32
33 Ulrich