From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] glep-0076: add clarification about the sign-off requirements
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 10:39:30
1 >>>>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2021, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 2021-07-28 at 07:07 +0300, Joonas Niilola wrote:
4 >> @@ -138,7 +139,10 @@ the Certificate of Origin by adding ::
5 >>
6 >>  to the commit message as a separate line.  The sign-off must contain
7 >>  the committer's legal name as a natural person, i.e., the name that
8 >> -would appear in a government issued document.
9 >> +would appear in a government issued document. It's strongly encouraged
10 >> +that the original contribution author also adds their sign-off, to at
11 >> +least indicate they are aware of this GLEP. But it's required only
12 >> +from the committer.
13
14 > To be honest, the wording sounds a bit backwards. 'Commiters must do X
15 > but we encourage everyone to do X but it's only required from
16 > committers.'
17
18 +1
19
20 > Let's maybe start by replacing 'the committer shall' with 'the
21 > committer must'.
22
23 I tend to disagree. "Shall" means that it is mandatory, see (e.g.)
24 RFC 2119 [1]. Also I am pretty sure that we've discussed this point when
25 drafting the original version.
26
27 > As the next sentence, something akin 'Other authors contributing to
28 > the change are also encouraged to include their sign-off but the
29 > committer decides whether these sign-offs are required'.
30
31 Honestly, that isn't much better. It is optional for authors but the
32 committer decides if it is mandatory?
33
34 Maybe something along the lines of: "It is strongly recommended that
35 contributors also include their sign-offs. In particular circumstances,
36 the committer may decide that these sign-offs are not required. In this
37 case, the committer cannot certify the contribution by point 4., but
38 must certify it by point 1., 2., or 3."
39
40 ("Recommended" and "in particular circumstances" borrowed from RFC 2119,
41 too.)
42
43 > And then the common part about real name, as it applies the same to
44 > both.
45
46 +1
47
48 >> +vi.  Clarify that a sign-off is only strictly required from the
49 >> +     committer, not from the author.
50 >> +
51
52 This hunk should be omitted because it is not related to the certificate
53 of origin. The GLEP editors will add a note under "Status" when (and if)
54 the update is reapproved by council and board of trustees.
55
56 Ulrich
57
58 [1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc2119