From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Council demands on maintainers & council legal liability
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2019 16:37:51
1 >>>>> On Thu, 04 Jul 2019, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2
3 > For the records: When I read mgorny's statement I got a different
4 > message in first place. Do you remind the sys-firmware/intel-microcode
5 > license hick hack around ~2018-08-23? As maintainer and as a person with
6 > some insights I *knew* that Intel was going to revert that license
7 > change. Therefore I didn't want to rev bump package for just a few hours
8 > or days to avoid causing unnecessary work for all of us, including
9 > Gentoo users.
10
11 Sorry, I don't understand. If you knew in advance (how?) that Intel was
12 going to revert, why had you added an ebuild for that 20180807 snapshot
13 version with the restrictive terms, in the first place [3]?
14
15 Also with the information available at that point, we had to assume that
16 redistribution of that particular microcode-20180807.tgz tarball was not
17 allowed, so the ebuild should have had mirror restriction.
18
19 > What happened? A trustee went forward and did that change
20 > on behalf of trustees ("copyright is trustee territory") against my will
21 > [1]. A few hours later, as I had 'predicted', Intel finally publicly
22 > announced that the license change will be reverted and I was able to
23 > revert that commit [2]. The message I got from reading mgorny's
24 > *Trustee* manifesto is, that he doesn't like such an interference (which
25 > will bring us to your second question).
26
27 I agree that immediately assigning bug 664134 [4] to Trustees seems a
28 little strange. Normally, such simple mistakes should be worked out with
29 the maintainer, and only escalated to Trustees if (e.g.) a decision of
30 general principle is needed.
31
32 Ulrich
33