From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Council demands on maintainers & council legal liability
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2019 13:36:34
1 On 2019-07-04 04:14, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > I realize that there is only a short period left in the election, but
3 > I've been busy with IRL issues, and mgorny's trustee manifesto [1] ascribed
4 > something to the Council members that concerned me; there's one
5 > additional good question for the Council that I'll close with.
6 >
7 > 1. Points 1a&1c of mgorny's manifesto imply that the council can
8 > unilaterally prevent support of any given package in Gentoo, and
9 > basically remove the package from the distribution.
10 >
11 > This is despite any developers that may wish to support the package.
12 >
13 > What's your opinion of the council using this offensively against
14 > packages? As a hypothetical, say systemd-ng comes about, with an even
15 > worse opinionated choices than those presently in systemd. Should the
16 > council be able to force support for openrc & systemd stop?
17
18 My understanding of the council is, that the council itself is 'passive'
19 and isn't responsible for developing/pushing new visions/ideas just
20 because it is the council. That means that the council, representing the
21 community, will *only* vote on behalf of the community on motions the
22 community brought up. Of course because any council member is also part
23 of the community, council members can start a motion like any other
24 community member. But it will happen without any council hat and
25 everything must follow the same rules/process (mailing lists...).
26
27 Regarding the specific example:
28 At the moment, and I don't see this changing, any developer is free to
29 do whatever they want to do in Gentoo as long as they don't break things
30 and follow Gentoo rules. So if there will be a new init system and
31 someone wants to support that, he/she is free to do that (as long as
32 he/she is able to do that across whole repository without violating
33 Gentoo rules (like QA...). tl;dr "As long as maintainer isn't doing
34 something crazy").
35
36 Only if someone else within community will create a motion that the
37 proposition should be stopped for $reasons this will become topic for
38 council. And after following the process, council member will finally
39 have decide on that motion.
40
41 Regarding 1c: It's the money of the foundation. At the moment, council
42 has no rights to tell foundation how they have to spend the money. As
43 long as foundation won't change that (for example they could at least
44 give council one vote for funding requests), we don't really need to
45 talk about this.
48 For the records: When I read mgorny's statement I got a different
49 message in first place. Do you remind the sys-firmware/intel-microcode
50 license hick hack around ~2018-08-23? As maintainer and as a person with
51 some insights I *knew* that Intel was going to revert that license
52 change. Therefore I didn't want to rev bump package for just a few hours
53 or days to avoid causing unnecessary work for all of us, including
54 Gentoo users. What happened? A trustee went forward and did that change
55 on behalf of trustees ("copyright is trustee territory") against my will
56 [1]. A few hours later, as I had 'predicted', Intel finally publicly
57 announced that the license change will be reverted and I was able to
58 revert that commit [2]. The message I got from reading mgorny's
59 *Trustee* manifesto is, that he doesn't like such an interference (which
60 will bring us to your second question).
63 > 2. As an additional point, can you try to give your version of a simple
64 > statement on the legal liabilities that the Council as a whole, and
65 > the Council members as individuals, have for their actions?
66
67 At the moment, council has zero legal liabilities. That's because
68 council has no legal body. In Gentoo, only the Gentoo foundation has a
69 legal body. But to my knowledge, foundation doesn't even mention council
70 in any legal document, i.e. council doesn't exist from foundation's POV
71 (council is only tolerated) so council currently doesn't have any
72 official position with legal liabilities.
73
74 With this in mind, sure, as trustee with legal obligations for the
75 foundation no one else has, I understand that you sometimes believe you
76 must cover your 'ass' because foundation will hold you responsible for
77 any damage you may cause (this will include damages you don't cause in
78 first place but could have prevented).
79 Regarding my example with intel-microcode package: If you as trustee
80 really believe that Gentoo foundation could be in *real trouble* due to
81 that license violation... you have to do your thing because if you are
82 right and didn't do your job, you can be sure that foundation will try
83 to get their money back from you... assuming board won't get approval of
84 the actions).
87 See also:
89 [1] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=933df6
90
91 [2] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=db0abe
95 Regards,
96 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
97 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5