From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Council demands on maintainers & council legal liability
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2019 02:14:20
1 I realize that there is only a short period left in the election, but
2 I've been busy with IRL issues, and mgorny's trustee manifesto [1] ascribed
3 something to the Council members that concerned me; there's one
4 additional good question for the Council that I'll close with.
5
6 1. Points 1a&1c of mgorny's manifesto imply that the council can
7 unilaterally prevent support of any given package in Gentoo, and
8 basically remove the package from the distribution.
9
10 This is despite any developers that may wish to support the package.
11
12 What's your opinion of the council using this offensively against
13 packages? As a hypothetical, say systemd-ng comes about, with an even
14 worse opinionated choices than those presently in systemd. Should the
15 council be able to force support for openrc & systemd stop?
16
17 2. As an additional point, can you try to give your version of a simple
18 statement on the legal liabilities that the Council as a whole, and
19 the Council members as individuals, have for their actions?
20
21 [1] https://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/trustee-manifesto-2019.txt
24 Robin Hugh Johnson
25 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
26 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
27 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
28 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136