From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Council demands on maintainers & council legal liability
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2019 06:26:21
1 On Thu, 2019-07-04 at 02:14 +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > I realize that there is only a short period left in the election, but
3 > I've been busy with IRL issues, and mgorny's trustee manifesto [1] ascribed
4 > something to the Council members that concerned me; there's one
5 > additional good question for the Council that I'll close with.
6 >
7 > 1. Points 1a&1c of mgorny's manifesto imply that the council can
8 > unilaterally prevent support of any given package in Gentoo, and
9 > basically remove the package from the distribution.
10 >
11 > This is despite any developers that may wish to support the package.
12
13 For the record, I think you are ascribing to me something I didn't mean.
14 Sure, Council can adjust the direction distribution takes (= decide
15 on the default, suggest developers what to work on) but I don't see it
16 as completely blocking support for anything. My examples were rather
17 exaggerated.
20 > What's your opinion of the council using this offensively against
21 > packages? As a hypothetical, say systemd-ng comes about, with an even
22 > worse opinionated choices than those presently in systemd. Should the
23 > council be able to force support for openrc & systemd stop?
24 >
25 > 2. As an additional point, can you try to give your version of a simple
26 > statement on the legal liabilities that the Council as a whole, and
27 > the Council members as individuals, have for their actions?
28 >
29 > [1] https://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/trustee-manifesto-2019.txt
33 Best regards,
34 Michał Górny