From: NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-04-10
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 02:27:53
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 04/03/2016 06:55 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 4:32 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
6 > wrote:
7 >>>>>>> On Sun, 3 Apr 2016, Rich Freeman wrote:
8 >>
9 >>> What project (if any) is officially responsible for the
10 >>> creation or non-creation of Changelogs in the rsync mirrors?
11 >>> Do they have an opinion on this matter? Would they prefer that
12 >>> the Council make a decision?
13 >>
14 >>> I bring this up because this seems like the sort of thing the
15 >>> Council typically doesn't interfere with.
16 >>
17 >> This concerns the Portage tree as a whole, as it is seen by a
18 >> large fraction of users. Therefore I think it is a global issue,
19 >> which is genuine council territory. Also the council has
20 >> discussed this topic previously, most recently in the 20141014
21 >> and 20151108 meetings.
22 >>
23 >> From the 20141014 meeting summary:
24 >>
25 >> "do we need to continue to create new ChangeLog entries once
26 >> we're operating in git?" No: blueness, creffett (proxy for ulm),
27 >> dberkholz, dilfridge, radhermit, rich0, williamh
28 >
29 > Sure, but the whole point of our vote was to not create a
30 > requirement. Per the previous Council decision there is no
31 > requirement for Changelogs to be present, but there is also no
32 > prohibition on them being present.
33 >
34 > I'm not really advocating for changing this.
37 >> Furthermore, quoting robbat2's message from March 2nd:
38 >>
39 >> | Either way, ~60% are in favour of getting rid of changelogs.
40 >>
41 >> | IMO this is a BETTER goal than continuing to generate them for
42 >> | rsync, and bike-shedding about what the order should be; and
43 >> it | provides a huge benefit by reducing the size of rsync by
44 >> 155MiB.
45 >>
46 >> To me this sounds more like an open question than as a notice
47 >> that infra is going to drop ChangeLogs. If the council thinks
48 >> that such a decision is at infra's discretion then presumably we
49 >> should make a statement to that effect.
50 >
51 > That works fine for me, and was basically my intent.
54 >>> Right now I'm personally inclined to vote against any
55 >>> resolution requiring anybody to do anything simply because I
56 >>> don't see a pressing need to impose a policy on them. I'd
57 >>> encourage anybody who wants a repo with different/absent
58 >>> Changelogs to just create one and let others sync it as they
59 >>> desire.
60 >>
61 >> Presumably, this would imply duplicating the rsync mirror
62 >> system?
63 >
64 > Sure. It has already been done once with git:
65 > https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo.git
66 >
67 > I don't see why others couldn't do the same if they wished.
68 >
69 > In any case, I'm fine with leaving it completely up to infra. I
70 > consider Changelogs to be nice to have, and I'm not going to force
71 > devs to maintain them. I'm not sure how I could even force a dev
72 > to maintain them if I wanted to. At most I could volunteer to
73 > maintain them myself, and I don't intend to do that. However, if
74 > somebody else wants to maintain them and feels there is a barrier
75 > standing in their way I don't have a problem with removing that
76 > barrier if it is reasonable to do so.
79 An aside: Part of the git migration was converting the cvs history to
80 git to be available as a graft point [1][2]. Regardless of whether
81 this is to ultimately become the canonical means of looking up a
82 package's changelog, can we document how the graft is supposed to be
83 done/configure the repo accordingly? I'm completely unfamiliar with
84 git grafting, but [3] suggests that there should be an entry in
85 .git/info/grafts. Since I'm unfamiliar with grafting, is there a
86 reason why we don't ship the repo with this file populated to begin with
87 ?
88
89 - --
90 NP-Hardass