From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 17:37:43
1 On Friday, January 6, 2017 9:26:50 AM EST Alec Warner wrote:
2 >
3 > I don't wish to speculate on the legalities for each person, so to simplify
4 > I equate "One cannot legally join the foundation" and "One does not want to
5 > join a US based foundation." I think nominally I want to avoid the
6 > hypothetical case. So either we have people who are unable to join a US
7 > based foundation (either out of legal risk, or personal preference). How do
8 > we support this use case?
9
10 I do not think there is any difference between being a member or a developer.
11 If you cannot legally be a member, you likely cannot legally be a developer. I
12 can see US courts being more concerned with committers than members. Members
13 can only can vote, maybe sue the foundation though any individual could as
14 well. Committers can do far worse, malicious commit, etc.
15
16 A simple opt out of foundation membership should suffice in both cases. Auto
17 add, but allow for exclusion. Maybe a form saying they know they are waiving
18 their right to vote for choice. I am not sure the not legally able to be a
19 member is really an issues as it would more pertain to developers and staff.
22 William L. Thomson Jr.