From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Some focus for Gentoo
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 01:07:32
1 On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 14:33:27 -0800
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 01/14/2015 01:46 PM, Amadeusz Żołnowski wrote:
5 > > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> writes:
6 > >
7 > >> On 01/13/2015 07:43 PM, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
8 > >>> Wanted to share my thoughts on where I think Gentoo should go, in
9 > >>> terms of direction. Would love to hear your thoughts.
10 > >>>
11 > >>> http://dberkholz.com/2015/01/13/gentoo-needs-focus-to-stay-relevant/
12 > >>>
13 > >>
14 > >> I think that improved binary package support will allow Gentoo to
15 > >> compete with binary distros, making Gentoo applicable to a much
16 > >> wider audience.
17 > >
18 > > As far as I understand we should focus on something that other
19 > > distros fail at. (I'm not saying we should ignore binary package
20 > > support, but definitely it's place is not in top-3.)
21 >
22 > Well, maybe you could say that other distros fail at providing an
23 > extremely flexible build-system to feed their binary package
24 > repositories? If you look at it this way, Gentoo's missing piece is
25 > the binary package repository support.
26 >
27 > Thanks,
28 > Zac
31 Yes, while maybe not a top 3,, at least a top 5. It is definitely a good
32 one to accomplish.
33
34 Better binary support will improve production use in multi-system
35 environments, making maintenance much easier and Gentoo a much more
36 attractive option. Both increasing our user base, and most likely,
37 contributing members, even if they are not devs.
40 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>