From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: "Amadeusz Żołnowski" <aidecoe@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Some focus for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 22:33:38
1 On 01/14/2015 01:46 PM, Amadeusz Żołnowski wrote:
2 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> writes:
3 >
4 >> On 01/13/2015 07:43 PM, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
5 >>> Wanted to share my thoughts on where I think Gentoo should go, in terms
6 >>> of direction. Would love to hear your thoughts.
7 >>>
8 >>> http://dberkholz.com/2015/01/13/gentoo-needs-focus-to-stay-relevant/
9 >>>
10 >>
11 >> I think that improved binary package support will allow Gentoo to
12 >> compete with binary distros, making Gentoo applicable to a much wider
13 >> audience.
14 >
15 > As far as I understand we should focus on something that other distros
16 > fail at. (I'm not saying we should ignore binary package support, but
17 > definitely it's place is not in top-3.)
18
19 Well, maybe you could say that other distros fail at providing an
20 extremely flexible build-system to feed their binary package
21 repositories? If you look at it this way, Gentoo's missing piece is the
22 binary package repository support.
23
24 Thanks,
25 Zac