From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Infra response re SPF.
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 19:25:55
1 This is the official infra response re SPF in this case.
2
3 On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 12:03:02PM -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
4 > Something is not "off" with our mail servers, and there is currently no
5 > way to prevent "From" spoofing without significant collateral damage.
6 Correct.
7
8 Infra does maintain an SPF page as well.
9 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Infrastructure/SPF
10
11 A lot of developers prefer to send mail out via their own mailservers,
12 and not use the Gentoo mailserver for outgoing mail. This means we
13 either need to allow them declare those servers, or make sure their mail
14 won't be rejected anyway.
15
16 Our base SPF rule as pointed out:
17 gentoo.org. IN TXT "v=spf1 mx ptr include:%{l}.%{o}.spf.gentoo.org. ?all"
18
19 Most important is the ?all on the end, but the include bit needs further
20 explanation.
21
22 We have 4 choices for the terminal rule:
23
24 +all - allow everything. NOPE!
25 -all - strictly disallow everything not explicitly permitted. NOPE!
26 ~all - softfail everything not explicitly permitted. MAYBE...
27 ?all - make no statement. MAYBE...
28
29 There's an additional wrinkle, in that not all SPF validation
30 implementations support SPF macros. Notable this includes Gmail when
31 I last checked. SPF also has recursion depth problems (eg it's easy to
32 exceed the max depth in the specification).
33
34 If the macros are NOT supported, then using "~all" will result in
35 SpamAssassin contributing +1 to toward the spam score. "?all" will
36 contribute 0.0 to the score.
37
38 If the SPF implementation does supports macros, a developer with
39 their own mail server can get their own record (gentooSPF in LDAP):
40 | robbat2.gentoo.org.spf.gentoo.org. IN TXT "v=spf1 include:_spf.orbis-terrarum.net ~all"
41 So the complete evaluation is:
42 "mx ptr include:_spf.orbis-terrarum.net ~all ?all"
43 (_spf.orbis-terrarum.net expands to IP blocks and back to Gentoo)
44 And if you try to forge mail from me, you will get a SPF SOFTFAIL.
45
46 If the SPF implementation does NOT support macros, the SPF
47 evaluation is:
48 "mx ptr ?all"
49 And, if you tried to forge mail from me, it will be accepted.
50
51 Furthermore, we have some wildcards for the implementations that DO
52 support macros, to help improve scores and catch known cases:
53 lists.gentoo.org.spf.gentoo.org. IN TXT "v=spf1 a:lists.gentoo.org -all"
54 *.lists.gentoo.org.spf.gentoo.org. IN TXT "v=spf1 a:lists.gentoo.org -all"
55 *.gentoo.org.spf.gentoo.org. IN TXT "v=spf1 ~all" (for unknown
56 developer names)
59 Robin Hugh Johnson
60 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer
61 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
62 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
63 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136