From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-11-13
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 17:48:03
1 On 03/11/16 01:14 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 12:41 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Yep pretty much. The different in my suggestion would be that
5 >> stabilization commits would be done by those that don't actually test
6 >> said arch -- I think the way it worked before is that the
7 >> stabilization commit was still done by an AT.
8 >
9 > ATs aren't developers, so they can't do commits. The commits were
10 > done by developers who were part of the arch project.
11 >
12 > Unless you're using "AT" to refer to either a non-dev arch tester or a
13 > developer member of the arch project team. It is possible that the
14 > term wasn't used consistently, but on amd64 back when it was active I
15 > don't think we used the term AT for anything other than non-devs.
18 Ahhh, I wasn't aware of that. I thought the AT (Arch Tester) label
19 included both the dev and the non-dev members of the arch team.
22 >> This lack of on-system
23 >> verification from the committing dev would be why we'd need a higher
24 >> level of trust from the non-dev ATs.
25 >
26 > Generally speaking the arch project member wasn't checking anything
27 > other than that the AT was in fact an AT for their arch. So, it
28 > required the same level of trust.
29 >
30 > However, you're right that the commits could be done by anybody, or as
31 > I suggested they might even be automated. Arch testing really seems
32 > to be the sort of thing that could go into some kind of tool that
33 > tracks all the statuses/etc and as testers check in it just does the
34 > commit behind the scenes.
37 Yes, I never even considered automation in this case. That could aid
38 things significantly.