From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-11-13
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 17:14:31
1 On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 12:41 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Yep pretty much. The different in my suggestion would be that
4 > stabilization commits would be done by those that don't actually test
5 > said arch -- I think the way it worked before is that the
6 > stabilization commit was still done by an AT.
7
8 ATs aren't developers, so they can't do commits. The commits were
9 done by developers who were part of the arch project.
10
11 Unless you're using "AT" to refer to either a non-dev arch tester or a
12 developer member of the arch project team. It is possible that the
13 term wasn't used consistently, but on amd64 back when it was active I
14 don't think we used the term AT for anything other than non-devs.
15
16 > This lack of on-system
17 > verification from the committing dev would be why we'd need a higher
18 > level of trust from the non-dev ATs.
19
20 Generally speaking the arch project member wasn't checking anything
21 other than that the AT was in fact an AT for their arch. So, it
22 required the same level of trust.
23
24 However, you're right that the commits could be done by anybody, or as
25 I suggested they might even be automated. Arch testing really seems
26 to be the sort of thing that could go into some kind of tool that
27 tracks all the statuses/etc and as testers check in it just does the
28 commit behind the scenes.
31 Rich