From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-11-13
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 21:18:01
1 On Thursday, November 3, 2016 1:14:20 PM EDT Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 12:41 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Yep pretty much. The different in my suggestion would be that
4 > > stabilization commits would be done by those that don't actually test
5 > > said arch -- I think the way it worked before is that the
6 > > stabilization commit was still done by an AT.
7 >
8 > ATs aren't developers, so they can't do commits. The commits were
9 > done by developers who were part of the arch project.
10
11 I think that is going a bit far. I would say an arch tester can be a developer
12 or contributor, with regard to the tester. When the tester is a developer,
13 member of said arch team, they after testing mark it stable for given arch,
14 and update bug.
15
16 That does not mean devs just go and mark their own stuff stable. Usually the
17 proper way to do even that, is to be a member of what ever arch team. If said
18 dev wants all archs, have to join all arch teams. After 30 days, etc.
19
20 It is not really efficient to have contributors be testers. Just to have another
21 do the commit, and vouch for said testing. Some testing is quite minimal,
22 which may be better automated than manual, given recurring nature.
23
24 Also in part goal should be less contributors more developers, so no need to
25 differentiate an arch tester who cannot commit, to a developer doing arch
26 testing and stable commit.
27
28 AT can be confusing as an acronym, not really clear if it means Arch Tester or
29 Arch Team.
32 William L. Thomson Jr.