From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-11-13
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 22:18:18
1 On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 5:17 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Thursday, November 3, 2016 1:14:20 PM EDT Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>
5 >> ATs aren't developers, so they can't do commits. The commits were
6 >> done by developers who were part of the arch project.
7 >
8 > I think that is going a bit far. I would say an arch tester can be a developer
9 > or contributor, with regard to the tester. When the tester is a developer,
10 > member of said arch team, they after testing mark it stable for given arch,
11 > and update bug.
12
13 Just to clarify, I was trying to indicate how the term "AT" was used
14 in the past. I wasn't suggesting that we should have some kind of
15 two-stage workflow.
16
17 In the past developers certainly tested and stabilized packages
18 directly. However, when they did this they were never referred to as
19 "ATs," but simply as developers. I certainly support allowing
20 developers to continue to do this.
21
22 The purpose of ATs was to be able to allow contributors to be able to
23 do the heavy lifting (the testing, etc) and then just have a developer
24 do the commit. The latter is really just overhead because we don't
25 have an easy way to make it possible for a contributor to directly
26 stabilize things without giving them access to do a lot of other
27 stuff. If we could have a really light qualification process to allow
28 volunteers to test and stabilize packages without any developer
29 involvement I'd be all for it, as this is fairly low risk.
30
31 If I wanted to outline an ideal stable workflow managed by some kind
32 of tracker it would work like this:
33 1. Packages get identified for potential stabilization. This could
34 be based on time-based policies, user submissions, etc.
35 2. CI screens all stable requests and files bugs for repoman issues
36 and so on, before a human looks at them. It could also do a build
37 test.
38 3. Maintainers get the ability to screen these stable requests. This
39 could be via an approval process with a deadline, or by being able to
40 set per-package policy (please stabilize one package in this version
41 range every three months), etc.
42 4. Packages that pass the screen go into queues for each arch. The
43 queue is dependency aware and marks things as blockers/etc as needed
44 to try to maximize the impact of each stabilization. The system
45 blocks stabilizing things out of order/etc.
46 5. An arch tester (a trained volunteer, but with focused training on
47 the task) evaluates the package, and can file a bug directly from the
48 tool, or mark it stable. No need to look for repoman issues because
49 that was done in #2. The focus is on whether it builds and runs
50 correctly. Ideally there would be some kind of command line tool to
51 facilitate emerging the package.
52 6. If it passes the tool commits the change. This could be batched
53 to reduce git push volume.
56 Rich