From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-11-13
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 22:22:11
1 On 03/11/16 22:18, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 5:17 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
3 > <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Thursday, November 3, 2016 1:14:20 PM EDT Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >>> ATs aren't developers, so they can't do commits. The commits were
6 >>> done by developers who were part of the arch project.
7 >> I think that is going a bit far. I would say an arch tester can be a developer
8 >> or contributor, with regard to the tester. When the tester is a developer,
9 >> member of said arch team, they after testing mark it stable for given arch,
10 >> and update bug.
11 > Just to clarify, I was trying to indicate how the term "AT" was used
12 > in the past. I wasn't suggesting that we should have some kind of
13 > two-stage workflow.
14 >
15 > In the past developers certainly tested and stabilized packages
16 > directly. However, when they did this they were never referred to as
17 > "ATs," but simply as developers. I certainly support allowing
18 > developers to continue to do this.
19 >
20 > The purpose of ATs was to be able to allow contributors to be able to
21 > do the heavy lifting (the testing, etc) and then just have a developer
22 > do the commit. The latter is really just overhead because we don't
23 > have an easy way to make it possible for a contributor to directly
24 > stabilize things without giving them access to do a lot of other
25 > stuff. If we could have a really light qualification process to allow
26 > volunteers to test and stabilize packages without any developer
27 > involvement I'd be all for it, as this is fairly low risk.
28 >
29 > If I wanted to outline an ideal stable workflow managed by some kind
30 > of tracker it would work like this:
31 > 1. Packages get identified for potential stabilization. This could
32 > be based on time-based policies, user submissions, etc.
33 > 2. CI screens all stable requests and files bugs for repoman issues
34 > and so on, before a human looks at them. It could also do a build
35 > test.
36 > 3. Maintainers get the ability to screen these stable requests. This
37 > could be via an approval process with a deadline, or by being able to
38 > set per-package policy (please stabilize one package in this version
39 > range every three months), etc.
40 > 4. Packages that pass the screen go into queues for each arch. The
41 > queue is dependency aware and marks things as blockers/etc as needed
42 > to try to maximize the impact of each stabilization. The system
43 > blocks stabilizing things out of order/etc.
44 > 5. An arch tester (a trained volunteer, but with focused training on
45 > the task) evaluates the package, and can file a bug directly from the
46 > tool, or mark it stable. No need to look for repoman issues because
47 > that was done in #2. The focus is on whether it builds and runs
48 > correctly. Ideally there would be some kind of command line tool to
49 > facilitate emerging the package.
50 > 6. If it passes the tool commits the change. This could be batched
51 > to reduce git push volume.
52 >
53 With respect, the discussion here has comprehensively derailed from
54 -project issues. Discussion of the -stable and/or stabilisation should
55 really be diverted to the -wg-stable group and not clutter this channel.
56 Any queries as to the best method for this, I suggest pinging K_F (but
57 not naked!) who is project lead.
58
59 TYVM.