From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-11-13
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 16:41:29
1 On 03/11/16 10:01 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 9:50 AM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 >>
5 >> The stabilization commit itself isn't that onerous, it's the
6 >> testing. Likely a keyword or whiteboard from the non-dev AT on
7 >> the stabilization bug would suffice no?
8 >>
9 >> That said, like the proxy-maint group, we could enlist some
10 >> random devs to apply the stabilization commits based on the
11 >> feedback of non-dev ATs. BUT, that's only going to work if we
12 >> have some sort of enforced training and qualification criteria
13 >> for non-dev ATs (which we likely have already) and I'm not sure
14 >> the bureaucracy to manage that would leave us in a better
15 >> situation than what we have now.
18 > You're basically describing how ATs worked back when they were
19 > active.
20 >
21 > An AT would search for packages keyworded for testing/stable on
22 > their arch. They would perform testing, and comment on the
23 > results. If it passed they'd add a keyword.
24 >
25 > Devs on the arch team would search for packages keyworded by ATs
26 > on their arch. For the most part they'd just blindly commit
27 > anything that was marked, because only trained ATs would be adding
28 > the keywords.
31 Yep pretty much. The different in my suggestion would be that
32 stabilization commits would be done by those that don't actually test
33 said arch -- I think the way it worked before is that the
34 stabilization commit was still done by an AT. This lack of on-system
35 verification from the committing dev would be why we'd need a higher
36 level of trust from the non-dev ATs.
37
38 Of course if the current bottleneck isn't that of the AT dev(s) for a
39 given arch, then this wouldn't improve anything anyhow.