From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-11-13
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2016 10:47:28
1 On 31/10/16 08:22, Raymond Jennings wrote:
2 > I'd like to suggest that stabilization procedures be loosened a bit.
3 >
4 > Right now, stabilization is SLOW, and I think a lack of manpower on the
5 > arch teams might have something to do with it.
6
7 The state of stabilisation has been brought up in previous meetings and
8 is something that is being worked on. Feel free to join us in
9 #gentoo-wg-stable.
10
11 > Suggestions:
12 >
13 > Have arch teams possibly certify more arch testers? If you can prove or
14 > promise that your system is capable of testing packages for
15 > stabilization, the arch team should be able to recruit you pretty much
16 > no questions asked unless they have a reason otherwise.
17
18 Unfortunately I've seen quite limited interest from new potential arch
19 testers lately (compared to some years ago), and in the cases where
20 someone did raise their hand there was nobody from the arch team
21 available to work with them.
22
23 > Also, maybe some sort of algorithm that flags the packages most badly in
24 > need of stabilization, using the following criteria:
25 >
26 > * Number of days since the package or version was ~arch keyworded/added
27 > to the tree
28
29 imlate from app-portage/gentoolkit-dev can produce a report like this.
30
31 > * Some sort of debianesque "popularity contest" that could (with end
32 > user opt-in of course) flag which packages are most commonly installed
33 > and therefore for which ones stabilization will have the greatest
34 > positive impact for the users.
35
36 gentoostats was created a long time ago but nobody actually deployed it.