From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: zmedico@g.o, chainsaw@g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2013-01-08
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 21:03:51
1 On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 12:41:08 -0800
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 12/27/2012 05:37 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > EAPI 5 provides use.stable.mask files to solve this but those files
6 > > require profiles to be EAPI 5. Therefore, in order to be able to use it
7 > > we would have to actually break the update path for older portage
8 > > versions completely.
9 >
10 > So, adding new profiles and deprecating the old ones is considered to
11 > "break the update path for older versions"? I don't a problem with
12 > deprecating profiles and forcing users to switch. The only manual labor
13 > involved could be `emerge -1 portage && eselect profile set <target>`.
14
15 No, breaking the update path was about going EAPI=5 in the base
16 profiles. But at some point I think we'd deprecate and remove the old
17 profiles anyway.
20 Best regards,
21 Michał Górny