From: Rich Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-11-12
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 03:45:39
1 On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 11:24 PM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
2 <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
3 > I'd advise for extra care with Council doing things like that.
4
5 Agree. Would love to see the QA team chime in here. Would also love
6 to hear concrete proposals.
9 > a) Who would be the lead of that new QA project?
10
11 I think getting the concepts right is more important than picking the
12 lead, but I'm sure there will be a lead so if there is interest
13 somebody will need to step up. That said, I would prefer to see the
14 Council decide on direction and put out a call for volunteers - some
15 might be reluctant to step up and create a stir if the status quo is
16 maintained.
19 > b) Given special role of QA, how to address having some bar on who can
20 > and who can't be a member of QA team at given moment? Or should there be
21 > some "levels" like in security team, indicating what actions can and
22 > can't be done on behalf of the QA team?
23
24 Not sure we could ever codify anything like this. Instead I'd prefer
25 accountability - see below.
28 > c) Any comments on <http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0048.html>?
29 > Especially these:
30 >
31 > - "The QA team is directed by a lead, chosen yearly by private or public
32 > election among the members of the team."
33
34 Honestly, I'd suggest that the QA lead be appointed by the Council
35 following election. I'd also suggest that the existing QA team
36 collectively issue a recommendation for that position. The Council
37 would not be required to go with that recommendation, but it would be
38 strongly encouraged that they do so. In this way the QA team has a
39 clear mandate, and is accountable.
42 > - "The QA team lead must approve developers who would like to join the
43 > project."
44
45 I think this should remain in place. With the lead being accountable
46 for the actions of the team, they should have the authority to manage
47 the team. The lead could also delegate authority in the role as
48 appropriate - perhaps a small team would be able to take action on QA
49 issues, and a larger team could perform QA-like activities that are
50 less authoritative such as testing, tinderboxes, or other volunteer
51 activities. I think we need to get beyond the concept of QA being
52 somebody carrying a club - in this way even non-devs could
53 participate. That said, having a mandate from the elected Council
54 would actually increase the authority of the QA team.
55
56 As with Devrel/etc issues could be appealed to Council, who would be
57 expected to support the QA lead they appointed unless things got out
58 of hand.
59
60 A system like this creates accountability all around, with the
61 developer community holding the final say in the election of the
62 Council.
63
64 Rich