From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] What should the default acceptable licenses be?
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2019 22:12:47
1 On Sat, 2019-01-26 at 22:04 +0100, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > I would like to point the community at the following bug
3 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/676248:
4 > Bug 676248 - non-free licenses are accepted without user prompt
5 >
6 > In summary the question is whether non-free licenses should be accepted
7 > by default in Gentoo. today only licenses requiring EULA are not
8 > accepted by default. So this is a good opportunity to discuss whether we
9 > should deviate substantially from other distros like Debian.
12 I think the key point in this discussion is: what is the reason for this
13 change? Is it ideological ("because RMS tells us it's bad")? Is it
14 copycat rationale ("because Debian does it")? Or do you have any
15 specific practical implications to support this? (They should really be
16 listed in this thread! Otherwise this really feels like it's a change
17 requested to suit somebody's fancy).
18
19 My personal opinion is that our default ACCEPT_LICENSE should be a safe
20 default for our users. Not because they could get impure with non-free
21 software but because we don't want them to fall into pitfalls created by
22 restrictive licenses.
23
24 Most notably, we don't want to require users to verify whether they are
25 allowed to use the program they've just installed, or whether they can
26 build it with custom patches. If this change intends to help with this,
27 I'm for it.
28
29 However, I really do think you should clearly define the goals. For
30 example, are you going 'free' to the point of defaulting to USE=bindist?
31
32 Also, what about restrictive 'free' licenses that can actually get
33 people into trouble, like AGPL? I personally don't think it should be
34 allowed by default. Given the recent example, we don't want people
35 getting into trouble by upgrading berkdb on their systems, if they just
36 happen to use it and don't know the upgrade requires them to change
37 their online applications.
40 Best regards,
41 Michał Górny