From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] ComRel / disciplinary action reform proposal
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 19:35:13
1 On Mon, 16 Jan 2017, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 00:25:34 +0000 (UTC)
4 > "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 >> The general rule is that you appeal an irc ban to the team
7 >> responsible for the irc channel (#gentoo-ops for #gentoo, ComRel for
8 >> #gentoo-dev and individual project teams for #gentoo-* channels).
9 >> If an appeal of the team decision is needed, it should be either
10 >> directed to the Gentoo Freenode Group Contacts
11 >
12 > #gentoo is currently operated under the assumption that appeals go to
13 > ComRel. Users who appeal their ban to the team get a review and as a
14 > rule are advised to contact ComRel if they want to appeal the team
15 > decision. The #gentoo ops team has never used Gentoo Freenode Group
16 > Contacts for appealing #gentoo user bans, so this is a bit novel to
17 > me.
18 >
19 > Gentoo Freenode Group Contacts is a (team of?) contacts that represent
20 > Gentoo to Freenode. I don't see how or why they should be directly
21 > involved in channel user management as they aren't now - Gentoo
22 > Freenode Group Contacts simply manage official "#gentoo*" channels and
23 > their ownership with the network.
24 >
25 >> (#gentoo-groupcontacts) the people that interact with Freenode and
26 >> can in last resort close a channel or take ownershipt of it or ComRel
27 >> if there was an abuse of power by a Developer. All actions by ComRel
28 >> can be appelead for the Council. ComRel is involved here as this was
29 >> done by UserRel before.
30 >
31 > OK, that's channel management, then, and not user-per-channel
32 > management. If you manage a channel under the #gentoo moniker, then you
33 > get to upkeep some minimal standards as you will be regarded as part of
34 > the wider community. Fair enough.
35 >
36 > But we don't actually manage cross-channel user management at
37 > all right now. Someone banned on #gentoo can go to #gentoo-chat for
38 > support or ranting or whatever she is allowed to do there (or anywhere
39 > else). This is a Good Thing. We don't need a higher body specifically
40 > for that.
41
42 Jeroen,
43
44 thank you for clearing up the above.
45 Gentoo group contacts can and have been reached in the past about channel
46 management issues, not about individual bans. The group contacts would get
47 involved in a case where a channel no longer has any active moderators or
48 when someone argues the channel has gone "beserk".
49
50 >> One thing you mention that might be worth, is having a way to make
51 >> clear that a bugzilla account is "disabled". I don't think we should
52 >> be explicit about an account being banned.
53 >
54 > "Disabled" is ambiguous. We currently appear to use "retired" for
55 > developers on bugzilla. I think "inactive" might be a better
56 > generic word for closed bugzilla accounts.
57
58 I prefer "inactive" as well.
59
60 Regards,