From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] ComRel / disciplinary action reform proposal
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 11:16:50
1 On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 00:25:34 +0000 (UTC)
2 "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > The general rule is that you appeal an irc ban to the team
5 > responsible for the irc channel (#gentoo-ops for #gentoo, ComRel for
6 > #gentoo-dev and individual project teams for #gentoo-* channels).
7 > If an appeal of the team decision is needed, it should be either
8 > directed to the Gentoo Freenode Group Contacts
9
10 #gentoo is currently operated under the assumption that appeals go to
11 ComRel. Users who appeal their ban to the team get a review and as a
12 rule are advised to contact ComRel if they want to appeal the team
13 decision. The #gentoo ops team has never used Gentoo Freenode Group
14 Contacts for appealing #gentoo user bans, so this is a bit novel to
15 me.
16
17 Gentoo Freenode Group Contacts is a (team of?) contacts that represent
18 Gentoo to Freenode. I don't see how or why they should be directly
19 involved in channel user management as they aren't now - Gentoo
20 Freenode Group Contacts simply manage official "#gentoo*" channels and
21 their ownership with the network.
22
23 > (#gentoo-groupcontacts) the people that interact with Freenode and
24 > can in last resort close a channel or take ownershipt of it or ComRel
25 > if there was an abuse of power by a Developer. All actions by ComRel
26 > can be appelead for the Council. ComRel is involved here as this was
27 > done by UserRel before.
28
29 OK, that's channel management, then, and not user-per-channel
30 management. If you manage a channel under the #gentoo moniker, then you
31 get to upkeep some minimal standards as you will be regarded as part of
32 the wider community. Fair enough.
33
34 But we don't actually manage cross-channel user management at
35 all right now. Someone banned on #gentoo can go to #gentoo-chat for
36 support or ranting or whatever she is allowed to do there (or anywhere
37 else). This is a Good Thing. We don't need a higher body specifically
38 for that.
39
40 > One thing you mention that might be worth, is having a way to make
41 > clear that a bugzilla account is "disabled". I don't think we should
42 > be explicit about an account being banned.
43
44 "Disabled" is ambiguous. We currently appear to use "retired" for
45 developers on bugzilla. I think "inactive" might be a better
46 generic word for closed bugzilla accounts.
47
48 > Appeal bodies are tied to the communication medium. Also, issues
49 > involving user / developer conflicts, like perceived abuses by
50 > moderation teams, fall within ComRel (formerly UserRel) purview.
51
52 To give an example: the nature of Internet Relay Chat effects that a
53 corrective measure is usually abrupt and absolute and the object of the
54 measure will usually feel that power has been abused in some way. This
55 involves a lot of flaming and venting (usually about the
56 nature of the operator's motivations for power use, or some inadequately
57 explained Amendment to some Constitution in some exotic country or
58 other) in side channels that normally results in the ban being lifted
59 after a cool-down period that seems appropriate at the time or some 20
60 days by default. Referring these measures directly to the Council or
61 even ComRel would make it _more_difficult_for the IRC user to appeal and
62 wouldn't shorten the cool-down.
63
64 Even presenting the information to a higher instance would be an arduous
65 task and this proposal doesn't say where they would find the resources
66 to pay for the man power to do all that administrative work, or indeed
67 how, in detail, that instance could possibly involve itself in the
68 everyday dealings so directly.
69
70 > You don't got to the Supreme Court before going though the appeals
71 > court.
72
73 You didn't mention a legal system in which that statement is true or
74 praise the merits of such a legal system in particular. I must stress
75 that it certainly isn't universally true.
76
77 > > When multiple teams inflict disciplinary actions on the same user,
78 > > they can request the Council to consider issuing a cross-channel
79 > > Gentoo disciplinary action.
80
81 This (and what followed) assumes you can positively identify users,
82 particularly across media, and that's where it all falls down.
83
84 > > What do you think?
85
86 My UFO detector says you're trying to concentrate many dispersed powers
87 (of observation as well as execution) in a single instance. They Live!
88
89 > Regards,
90 > Jorge
91