From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] ComRel / disciplinary action reform proposal
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 00:25:37
1 On Sun, 15 Jan 2017, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > Hello, everyone.
4 >
5 > Since the things around ComRel seem to have cooled down a bit, I think
6 > we can now start a serious discussion on how disciplinary action
7 > handling could be improved. While the recent complaints were focused on
8 > ComRel, I would like to take a more generic approach since ComRel is
9 > not the only body in Gentoo capable of disciplinary action.
10 >
11 > Therefore, I'd like my proposal to concern all cases of disciplinary
12 > action, involving but not limited to: ComRel, QA, Forum moderators, IRC
13 > moderators, Wiki admins and any other entity capable of enforcing
14 > a disciplinary action against developers and users.
15 >
16 > Note: throughout the mail 'users' include all people involved on
17 > the Gentoo communication channels, developers, users, bystanders
18 > and bots alike.
19
20 Thanks Michał for this email.
21
22 Let me start with a few general observations. I'll reply to some of your
23 points later.
24
25 * We already have some policies about appeals - I'll admit many might /
26 are unaware of some of them.
27 * Council isn't and shouldn't be the direct appeal body for all decisions
28 * Following above, if it were, it'd be swamped with appeals (I believe
29 some don't have an idea of how many bans are set on all mediums - the vast
30 majority never being subject of an appeal and or never crossing to other
31 mediums)
32 * You don't mention some social network sites and I'm sure some want to
33 address those as well. IIRC, most of those, where we had an official
34 presence, were tied to PR.
35
36 > Problems
37 > --------
38 > 1. Lack of transparency (this seems to be improving but I don't think
39 > we have a proper rules for that), that causes two issues:
40 >
41 > a. Users indirectly involved in disciplinary action are unaware of it
42 > which causes unnecessary confusion. Example: user is unaware that
43 > a person is banned from Bugzilla, and incorrectly assumes that
44 > the developer or user does not wish to reply to him.
45 >
46 > b. Users presume disciplinary bodies attempt to hide their actions
47 > which unnecessary builds tension and accusations. This becomes worse
48 > when the subjects of those actions are the only sides speaking upon
49 > the matter, and spreading false information.
50 >
51 > 2. Unclear appeal procedure (outside ComRel). For example, users that
52 > get banned on IRC don't have a clear suggestion on where to appeal to
53 > a particular decision, or whether there is any appeal possible at all.
54
55 The general rule is that you appeal an irc ban to the team responsible for
56 the irc channel (#gentoo-ops for #gentoo, ComRel for #gentoo-dev and
57 individual project teams for #gentoo-* channels).
58 If an appeal of the team decision is needed, it should be either directed
59 to the Gentoo Freenode Group Contacts (#gentoo-groupcontacts) the people
60 that interact with Freenode and can in last resort close a channel or take
61 ownershipt of it or ComRel if there was an abuse of power by a Developer.
62 All actions by ComRel can be appelead for the Council.
63 ComRel is involved here as this was done by UserRel before.
64
65 > 3. Lack of supervision. Likewise, most of teams capable of some degree
66 > of disciplinary action are not supervised by any other body in Gentoo,
67 > some not even indirectly.
68 >
69 > 4. Lack of cooperation. Most of disciplinary teams in Gentoo operate
70 > in complete isolation. Users affected by disciplinary actions
71 > sometimes simply switch to another channel and continue their bad
72 > behavior under another disciplinary team.
75 > In this proposal, I'd like to discuss introducing a few simple rules
76 > that would be binding to all teams capable of enforcing a disciplinary
77 > actions, and that aim to improve the current situation. My proposed
78 > rules are:
81 > 1. Secrecy
82 > ----------
83 > Due to the nature of disciplinary affairs, the teams involved
84 > in performing them are obliged to retain secrecy of the information
85 > gathered. This includes both collected material (logs, messages, etc.)
86 > and names of the individuals providing them.
87 >
88 > All the sensitive information involving disciplinary affairs can be
89 > *securely* passed only to other members of the disciplinary team
90 > involved in the affair and the current Council members, upon legitimate
91 > request. The obtained information should also be stored securely.
92 >
93 > It is only necessary for a single member of the disciplinary team to
94 > store the information (or to use a single collective store).
95 > The Council members should remove all obtained information after
96 > the appeal/audit.
97 >
98 > It should be noted that an unauthorized disclosure of sensitive
99 > information by any party involved would be a base for a strong
100 > disciplinary action.
101 >
102 > Rationale:
103 >
104 > a. The collected material sometimes contains various bits of private
105 > information whose disclosure is completely unnecessary and would only
106 > unnecessarily violate individual's privacy. Gentoo ought to respect
107 > privacy of users, and do not invade it without necessity.
108 >
109 > b. Publishing names of individuals involved in a disciplinary action
110 > could encourage the subjects to seek revenge. While keeping them secret
111 > often does not prevent it (or even worse, causes the individuals to
112 > seek revenge on larger group of people), we ought not to encourage
113 > it.
114
115 As was discussed before, some argue whether we should keep the secrecy or
116 not. I, for one, believe that keeping things private is best for everyone.
117 I also support that any damaging data should be kept out of public eyes so
118 as not to "tarnish" users reputation - it seems not everyone agree with me
119 on this one.
120
121 > 2. Transparency
122 > ---------------
123 > Any disciplinary action should be announced by the team in a manner
124 > specific to the appropriate media where the measure applies.
125 > The announcement should be visible to all users of that media,
126 > and contains:
127 >
128 > - the name of the user to whom the measure applies,
129 >
130 > - the description and length of the measure applied.
131 >
132 > For example, a ban on a mailing list could be announced to the mailing
133 > list in question. A ban on Bugzilla could involve adding appropriate
134 > note to the user's name, so that all other users see that he can't
135 > respond at the time. A ban on IRC could be stored e.g. on wiki page,
136 > or noted on a bug.
137
138 Back from the Proctors days, there's an argument that announcing publicly
139 a ban may inflame dispustes further. Also, this is very tied to the
140 medium.
141 For example, Forums Moderators have a policy to deal with bans and a
142 procedure in place that frequently involves splitting spam / abusive posts
143 from a topic and moving it to dustbin. Keeping the spam / abusive post in
144 the topic and adding a comment that a user was banned, doesn't fit or
145 serve well the forums, imho.
146
147 > Furthermore, any disciplinary action must be reported to the Council.
148 > The reporting is done through a bug that is opened at the first
149 > disciplinary measure inflicted on a user, and reused at any following
150 > measures. It should contain the information listed above, and have
151 > the Council in CC. No private information should be ever included
152 > in the bug.
153
154 I don't think you have an idea of the scope of the bans. If this were to
155 be done, Council would be swamped. Just think of how many bans ops in
156 #gentoo and Forums Moderators have to do to keep spammers away.
157 Also, your proposal sees Council as the first appeal to a ban. I disagree
158 with that idea. I see Council as the last appeal body and that anyone
159 wanting to appeal to Council needs to contact and present the case.
160
161 > Rationale:
162 >
163 > a. As noted above, the disciplinary measure often affect more users
164 > than the subject of the action. It is therefore most advisable to
165 > notice them of the action (i.e. that they can't expect the particular
166 > user to reply) and their length, while protecting as much privacy as
167 > possible.
168 >
169 > b. It is also beneficial for the subject of the action to have
170 > a publicly visible note of the measure applied, and clear statement of
171 > its length.
172
173 We add a note to clear spammers on bugzilla such as "go away". You'd want
174 us to start spending a lot of time on every case for every ban?
175 To avoid any confusion, all bans on bugzilla done by ComRel include a note
176 on how to appeal for that ban (when not clear spammers).
177 One thing you mention that might be worth, is having a way to make clear
178 that a bugzilla account is "disabled". I don't think we should be explicit
179 about an account being banned.
180
181 > c. Opening bugs for all disciplinary actions helps teams keep track of
182 > them and their durations, note repeated offenders and finally report
183 > all actions to the Council for auditing purposes.
184
185 Again I don't think / agree that Council needs to "audit" all teams. I
186 don't see any reason Council needs to know how many users the KDE team
187 choose to ban from #gentoo-kde for misbehaving.
188 The day #gentoo-kde becomes a "war zone" that disrespects all users and
189 after #gentoo-groupcontacts and or ComRel are approached and that isn't
190 fixed, then I find it reasonable to appeal to Council about that, but
191 *only* then.
192
193 > 3. Appeal
194 > ---------
195 > All disciplinary decisions (both actions and refusals to perform
196 > action) can be appealed to the Council. In this case, the disciplinary
197 > team is obliged to securely pass all material collected to the Council.
198 > The Council can either support, modify or dismiss the decision
199 > entirely. There is no further appeal.
200 >
201 > It should be noted that the disciplinary actions must not prevent
202 > the appeal from being filed.
203 >
204 > Rationale:
205 >
206 > a. Having a single body to handle all appeals makes the procedures
207 > simpler to our users and more consistent. This also guarantees that
208 > all measures can be appealed exactly once, and no channels are
209 > privileged.
210
211 Appeal bodies are tied to the communication medium. Also, issues involving
212 user / developer conflicts, like perceived abuses by moderation teams,
213 fall within ComRel (formerly UserRel) purview.
214
215 > b. The Council is currently the highest body elected by Gentoo
216 > developers with the trust of being able to handle appeals from ComRel
217 > decisions. It seems reasonable to extend that to all disciplinary
218 > decisions in Gentoo.
219
220 You don't got to the Supreme Court before going though the appeals court.
223 > 4. Supervision
224 > --------------
225 > At the same time, Council is assumed to supervise all disciplinary
226 > affairs in Gentoo. As noted in 2., all decisions made are reported to
227 > the Council for auditing. Those reports combined with appeals should
228 > allow the Council to notice any suspicious behavior from particular
229 > disciplinary teams.
230 >
231 > For the necessity of audit, the disciplinary teams should retain all
232 > material supporting their disciplinary audit in a secure manner,
233 > throughout the time of the disciplinary action and at least half a year
234 > past it. The Council can request all this information to audit
235 > the behavior of a particular team and/or its member.
236 >
237 > Rationale:
238 >
239 > a. Having a proper auditing procedure in place is necessary to improve
240 > the trust our users put in our disciplinary teams. It should discourage
241 > any members of our disciplinary teams from attempting to abuse their
242 > privileges, and help discover that quickly if it actually happens.
243 >
244 > b. The necessity of storing information supporting disciplinary
245 > decisions is helpful both for the purpose of auditing as well as for
246 > (potentially late) appeals. Keeping old information is necessary to
247 > support stronger decisions made for repeat offenders.
250 > 5. Cooperation
251 > --------------
252 > While it is not strictly necessary for different disciplinary teams to
253 > cooperate, in some cases it could be useful to handle troublemakers
254 > more efficiently across different channels.
255 >
256 > Since all disciplinary actions are published, a team may notice that
257 > another team has enforced a disciplinary action on their user. This
258 > could be used as a suggestion that the user is a potential troublemaker
259 > but the team must collect the evidence of wrongdoing in their own
260 > channel before enforcing any action. It should be noted that
261 > disciplinary teams are not allowed to exchange private information.
262 >
263 > When multiple teams inflict disciplinary actions on the same user, they
264 > can request the Council to consider issuing a cross-channel Gentoo
265 > disciplinary action. In this case, the Council requests material from
266 > all involved teams (alike when auditing) and may request a consistent
267 > disciplinary action from all disciplinary teams in Gentoo.
268 >
269 > Rationale:
270 >
271 > a. Under normal circumstances, a bad behavior on one communication
272 > channel should not prevent the user from contributing on another.
273 > However, we should have a more efficient procedure to handle the case
274 > when user is a repeating troublemaker and moves from one channel to
275 > another.
276 >
277 > b. Preventing information exchange serves the purpose of protecting
278 > users' privacy. The access to sensitive information should be
279 > restricted as narrowly as possible. Disciplinary teams should perform
280 > decisions autonomously to prevent corruption of one team resulting
281 > in unnecessary actions from another.
284 > Migration
285 > ---------
286 > It would seem unreasonable to request all disciplinary teams to either
287 > report all their past decisions right now, or to lift them immediately.
288 > However, if this policy is accepted, all teams would be obliged to
289 > follow it for any further decisions.
290 >
291 > It would also be recommended for teams to appropriate update at least
292 > recent decisions or those that are brought up again (e.g. via appeal or
293 > repeat offense).
296 > What do you think?
297
298 To conclude, I'd summarize the process of appeals for group mediums /
299 areas as:
300
301 * ComRel / QA
302 As already known, Council
303
304 * IRC
305 start by appealing to the moderation teams
306 (#gentoo-ops for #gentoo, ComRel for #gentoo-dev, individual teams for
307 #gentoo-* channels)
308 if that fails #gentoo-groupcontacts / ComRel
309 groupcontacts deal with Freenode and can seize a channel or disband it
310 / ComRel deals with user / developers issues and can deal with abusive
311 behaviour
312
313 * Bugzilla / MLs
314 ComRel if set by a ComRel member or seen as an abuse | the moderators
315 of an ml (if it's moderated)
316
317 * Forums
318 start by appealing to the Forums Moderators
319 if that fails ComRel
320
321 * Social network sites
322 (with official Gentoo presence) PR?
323
324 Some of these teams deal with appeals through email. For example
325 #gentoo-ops and Forums Moderators have emails that can be used to contact
326 them.
329 Regards,
330 Jorge