From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 3 April 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 00:03:42
1 On Mar 28, 2012 6:23 AM, "Joshua Kinard" <kumba@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 03/27/2012 12:23, Zac Medico wrote:
4 >
5 > >> 2b) If one does not want to use an initramfs, one must use mdev
6 > >
7 > > I'd leave option 2b undocumented. It's fragile and it will only work up
8 > > until something else breaks, and then we'll have another big "OMG
9 they're
10 > > forcing us to use an initramfs" discussion and have to update the
11 > > documentation again.
14 > Not undocumented, but with a link to this Wiki entry:
15 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev
16 >
17 > And a BIG FAT WARNING that it's risky, and only suitable for extremely
18 > simple system builds. It works fine for me on my main dev box and a VM.
19 > I'll know how it works on MIPS when I get that machine properly updated.
20 >
21 > Doesn't mean it'll work for everyone, but we're about choice, and we
22 should
23 > at least put a mention in, even if it's a choice that will be rarely
24 taken.
27 "Simple" is relative. I tend to say "non-exotic".
28
29 mdev is perfectly usable on my virtualized servers, whose devices are both
30 non-exotic (from the VM's point of view) and static.
31
32 Just recently, I polled the server mailing list, and while there's no clear
33 consensus, there are responders don't like option 2a because it involves an
34 initramfs.
35
36 But the essence is exactly what Joshua wrote in his last paragraph: it's
37 about choice. The user's (or sysadmin's) choice.
38
39 Rgds,