From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Corporate affiliations of Council members
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 11:23:19
1 On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 1:53 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, 2020-06-24 at 00:17 +0300, Andreas K. Hüttel wrote:
4 > > Am Montag, 22. Juni 2020, 21:56:06 EEST schrieb Alec Warner:
5 > > > I'm not sure why we would single out employment here; surely there are
6 > > > other potential relationships that could give rise to conflicts? Why are
7 > > > these excluded from disclosure?
8 > > >
9 > >
10 > > Because money is a powerful (and socially accepted) incentive.
13 > To be honest, he's right. Money is not specific to employment. Imagine
14 > someone running a Gentoo fork, with its own community, donations or
15 > other source of income. It's still money, still potential source of
16 > conflict, but not employment ;-). Like when Gentoo implements something
17 > their distro boasted of, and now their users may choose vanilla Gentoo.
18
19 Most organizations have a policy around conflicts of interest (in part
20 because if you're 501c3 the IRS will ask you every year if you have
21 one). Receiving money from an organization certainly is on that list.
22 Usually ownership, being on a board or being an officer in an org is
23 listed as well (which might cover this). Family relationships with
24 people in those situations are also usually on the list.
25
26 Beyond that though I think that a lot of things that are considered a
27 "conflict of interest" around here are not considered conflicts in
28 most organization. I've beaten that horse to death and I suspect my
29 opinion is in the minority on that point (within Gentoo, but not
30 outside of this org), so I'll leave it at that.
34 Rich