From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: GLEP - Require Projects to report to Council Monthly
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 16:27:18
1 On Saturday, January 21, 2017 11:27:49 PM EST Daniel Campbell wrote:
4 > Agreed. If there's interest in growing Gentoo, it should be Gentoo
5 > developers who care enough about it to do something,
6
7 Then why isn't Gentoo growing? For a very long time now.
8
9 This attitude that Gentoo is its developers is VERY wrong. There is allot that
10 comes from the community. Most developers started as members of the community.
11
12 Gentoo developers are NOT the only ones who do the work. They are not the only
13 ones who care, and at times some would say they are the ones allowing neglect.
14 Gentoo Developers have a proven track record of only carrying about things
15 that are of interest to them. NOT Gentoo over all, big difference.
16
17 > like maffblaster
18 > who started/resurrected the gentoo-news project. *That* is something
19 > that could engage the community and keep people up-to-date on what's
20 > going on.
21
22 Yes as it did before and the GWN and even monthly ended for a reason.
23
24 > Naturally, it'll need more developers to be involved, but
25 > every large thing started out small, so it has tons of room to grow.
26
27 Really interesting how you start with saying it will take developers, then end
28 with saying it needs more developers..
29
30 > Making this thing or that thing mandatory adds to the already protracted
31 > processes of our structure. It's an idea that sounds good in general but
32 > when applied to our context (non-profit, volunteer work), it doesn't work.
33
34 I like how something not tired is known not to work. Go look around your
35 community. Find a non profit or volunteer somewhere. See if you are not
36 required to do stuff.
37
38 People need to get past this volunteer npo BS. It is an excuse not reality!!!
41 William L. Thomson Jr.