From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: GLEP - Require Projects to report to Council Monthly
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 07:28:02
1 On 01/20/2017 05:11 PM, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 21:45:13 -0500
3 > "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Your also missing entire that such reporting can help people outside of Gentoo
6 >> gain more interest in Gentoo. If they know what is going on. You want bugs
7 >> fixed? Would more people not potentially mean more bugs are fixed faster? Or
8 >> rather expect more time from the existing pool?
9 >>
10 >> This is in part to grow Gentoo.
11 >
12 > I'm ok with some plan having a fringe benefit of increasing public awareness.
13 >
14 > I just want to make sure this is not a primary objective.
15 >
16 > Popularity through a reputation of quality is preferred over attempting to gain
17 > quality through a reputation of popularity.
18 >
19 > The latter does make you grow faster, but I have no interest in something popular
20 > but substandard, which usually happens.
21 >
22 Agreed. If there's interest in growing Gentoo, it should be Gentoo
23 developers who care enough about it to do something, like maffblaster
24 who started/resurrected the gentoo-news project. *That* is something
25 that could engage the community and keep people up-to-date on what's
26 going on. Naturally, it'll need more developers to be involved, but
27 every large thing started out small, so it has tons of room to grow.
28
29 Making this thing or that thing mandatory adds to the already protracted
30 processes of our structure. It's an idea that sounds good in general but
31 when applied to our context (non-profit, volunteer work), it doesn't work.
34 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
35 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
36 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6