From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 15:18:10
1 On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 6:24:06 AM EST Matthias Maier wrote:
2 >
3 > I am a bit astonished by the sudden proposal to centralize more power
4 > under the Gentoo Foundation, A US based non-profit. As was laid out by
5 > ulm and dilfridge, there are a number of severe legal uncertainties for
6 > non-US citizens participating in such a construct and frankly speaking I
7 > do not see the need for it. On the contrary.
8
9 This is not a power play, just an organizational change to a proper structure
10 like most any other project. The US is the champion of Freedom, maybe after
11 France. The Free Software movement basically originates from the US. All of
12 the entities for the FOSS community reside in the US, SLFC, SPI, and EFF.
13
14 I think allot of this non-US citizen concern is well over blown and not
15 justified. Other FOSS projects would have the same issues. NONE of this stuff
16 is unique to Gentoo.
17
18 > - It is my firm believe that it is *vital* for an open source project
19 > that essentially consists of volunteers from around the world to be
20 > organized as a community and not as a legal entity under some
21 > jurisdiction.
22
23 Take a look at any major project and you will see it has a legal entity. You
24 have to have such to project the IP at minimum, logo, etc.
25
26 > Therefore the status quo makes a lot of sense:
27
28 It never has, people can try to justify it all they want. But NOTHING else has
29 the structure of Gentoo. No project, entity, nothing in the world. Its long
30 time this be corrected.
31
32 Don't take my word look for examples of anything like or the same as Gentoo's
33 structure.
34
35 > - the developer community organizing itself
36 >
37 > - the Foundation taking care of legal matters (finances and
38 > infrastructure) that need a legal entity in some jurisdiction
39
40 Developers cause legal liability for the Foundation. Having them separate yet
41 having people be legally responsible for others does not make any sense.
42
43 Why would I want to be liable for your actions, when you are totally separate?
44
45 > The vital bit is the fact that the developer community is
46 > self-organizing and this includes the power to decide who is a member
47 > and who is not.
48
49 Again why should anyone take on legal liability of the developers then?
50
51 > - Now, all you essentially propose is to shift the "hr(comrel)" part to
52 > the Foundation - all the rest (trustees, pr, and infra) it is already
53 > in charge of.
54
55 Comrel can cause legal liability. If they take action against someone that
56 amounts to defamation, a individual can sue.
57
58 The Council is best left to technical matters. If it is a technical dispute
59 let council deal. If not then why not let Trustees handle that. I think most
60 council members would welcome that, maybe not. But Council and Trustees can
61 work TOGETHER. It need not be a this one does that this one does this, with no
62 overlap.
63
64 > So, why is it important to give the Foundation the power to decide
65 > over the "hr" part of the Gentoo developer community?
66
67 Legal liability. Comrel may need to limit its actions if it increase liability
68 on the Foundation. This is in the Trustees right and duty to project Gentoo
69 from such legal actions.
70
71 > If it is just about comrel, well, we can easily reorganize comrel
72 > into an elected body (by the Gentoo developer community) similarly to
73 > the council.
74
75 It is not, and just as Comrel actions can cause liability for the Foundation,
76 so can Developer actions.
77
78 > I do not see any necessity for the Foundation to be involved in the
79 > self organization of the developer community. On the contrary, there
80 > is the danger that a strengthened Foundation will severely undermine
81 > the authority of our developer community procedures, with
82 >
83 > - trustees being able to overrule the council on technical and
84 > community decisions
85
86 This can already happen now. The Foundation is the legal body of Gentoo. The
87 council nor developers have any legal recourse against the Foundation or
88 Board.
89
90 If the Trustees did such, likely would have good reason and it is their duty
91 to uphold the Gentoo Social Contract.
92
93 > - trustees being able to overrule our (developer) recruiting
94 > process
95
96 Again they have legal power to do such. They are the legal representatives,
97 and if overruling prevents or limits liability then it should be done.
98
99 > So, as a trustee (and the one proposing this move), why do you want to
100 > have this power presiding over the developer community?
101
102 It really is just about proper organization. Not some power play. I would hope
103 it would lead to increase cooperation between both and help further Gentoo.
106 William L. Thomson Jr.