From: Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 12:24:14
1 Hi Matthew,
2
3 On Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 04:59 CST, Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
4
5 [...]
6
7 > I think I'm leaning towards
8 > the 'board' being what is currently trustees + hr(comrel) + pr + infra.
9 > Under that would go what is currently being done by council.
10
11 I am a bit astonished by the sudden proposal to centralize more power
12 under the Gentoo Foundation, A US based non-profit. As was laid out by
13 ulm and dilfridge, there are a number of severe legal uncertainties for
14 non-US citizens participating in such a construct and frankly speaking I
15 do not see the need for it. On the contrary.
16
17 - It is my firm believe that it is *vital* for an open source project
18 that essentially consists of volunteers from around the world to be
19 organized as a community and not as a legal entity under some
20 jurisdiction.
21
22 Therefore the status quo makes a lot of sense:
23
24 - the developer community organizing itself
25
26 - the Foundation taking care of legal matters (finances and
27 infrastructure) that need a legal entity in some jurisdiction
28
29 The vital bit is the fact that the developer community is
30 self-organizing and this includes the power to decide who is a member
31 and who is not.
32
33 - Now, all you essentially propose is to shift the "hr(comrel)" part to
34 the Foundation - all the rest (trustees, pr, and infra) it is already
35 in charge of.
36
37 So, why is it important to give the Foundation the power to decide
38 over the "hr" part of the Gentoo developer community?
39
40 If it is just about comrel, well, we can easily reorganize comrel
41 into an elected body (by the Gentoo developer community) similarly to
42 the council.
43
44 I do not see any necessity for the Foundation to be involved in the
45 self organization of the developer community. On the contrary, there
46 is the danger that a strengthened Foundation will severely undermine
47 the authority of our developer community procedures, with
48
49 - trustees being able to overrule the council on technical and
50 community decisions
51
52 - trustees being able to overrule our (developer) recruiting
53 process
54
55 So, as a trustee (and the one proposing this move), why do you want to
56 have this power presiding over the developer community?
57
58 Best,
59 Matthias