From: Thomas Anderson <tanderson@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [GLEP 39 overhaul] Does the council need a lead?
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 19:19:07
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 06:59:51PM +0100, Roy Bamford wrote:
> On 2010.04.18 00:49, Denis Dupeyron wrote: > > Does the council need a lead? All top-level projects have a lead > > except the council. Should we maintain this exception? > > > > How do we elect a lead? Do the developers do it or should it be left > > to the newly elected council members? > > > Team, > > The council needs a chairman and a secretary. > > It does not matter if they are rotating positions or elected by the > council. The chairman must be a member of the council, the secretary > can be anyone capable of discharging the duties of the post. They need > not be a dev at all. > > The main point is to prevent the waste of time at the start of the > meeting working out who is logging, posting the summary and who is > chairing. > > If other 'officer' roles would help to discharge the business of the > council, the council should be free to appoint them. > > -- > Regards, > > Roy Bamford > (Neddyseagoon) a member of > gentoo-ops > forum-mods > trustees >
I strongly agree with this. I think it also cannot be emphasized enough that the secretary simply cannot chair the meetings(unless the secretary is a council member). This is because the secretary is not elected and, from my experience chairing meetings anyway, would inneffectually keep the council on-topic and moving through the agenda. Pretty much anything else can be assigned to the secretary however. -- --------- ~Thomas Anderson~ ---------