From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-04-08
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 09:23:11
1 On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 4:33 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > ISO/IEC prefixes [1,2]: KiB (kibibyte), MiB (mebi-), GiB (gibi-)
4 > -- unambiguously 2^10, 2^20, 2^30
5 >
6 > 'old' prefixes: kB (kilobyte), MB (mega-), GB (giga-)
7 > -- can mean 10^3 or 2^10 etc. depending on author's intention
8 > -- SI people tend to use 10^N for consistency with other units
9
10 To think that counting is the one situation where it is actually
11 possible to have perfect precision, and we still manage to mess up the
12 units...
13
14 I'm a bit torn on this. I'm an American, so I am supposed to do
15 something ambiguous and arbitrary (can we count bytes in baker's
16 dozens?). I'm also a Chemist, and never met an SI unit I didn't like.
17
18 We do need to keep in mind that the laws of physics dictate that
19 boolean states can only be combined in groups of 8. That's a shame,
20 because kibibits just rolls off the tongue and helps promote healthy
21 fur.
22
23 Now I need to get back to sleep because I have a 97.7 kibimeter drive
24 tomorrow...
25
26 Rich