From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: blueness@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-04-08
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 08:33:53
1 Dnia 2014-03-27, o godz. 09:40:47
2 "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > The council will be meeing on April 8, 2014 at 1900 UTC. Please bring
5 > forward any agenda items you would like discussed.
6
7 Before we get into another revert war from patrick, I'd like to raise
8 the following item:
9
10 - use of ISO/IEC binary prefixes vs ambiguous 'mega' prefixes
11
12 Quick explanation:
13
14 ISO/IEC prefixes [1,2]: KiB (kibibyte), MiB (mebi-), GiB (gibi-)
15 -- unambiguously 2^10, 2^20, 2^30
16
17 'old' prefixes: kB (kilobyte), MB (mega-), GB (giga-)
18 -- can mean 10^3 or 2^10 etc. depending on author's intention
19 -- SI people tend to use 10^N for consistency with other units
20
21 Major FLOSS projects have already started using binary prefixes:
22 the Linux kernel and GNU coreutils (e.g. df). They are used in e.g.
23 pacman as well, and I've submitted patches for portage already.
24
25 2.5yr ago scarabeus had updated check-reqs.eclass to use binary
26 prefixes [3] after a mailing list discussion. 1.5yr ago patrick changed
27 units back [4] without any discussion. Yesterday ulm (not knowing of
28 earlier revert) noticed the wrong names and fixed them again [5]. Today
29 patrick threatened already that he's going to revert the change.
30
31 Therefore, I'd like to have this discussed and voted through by Council
32 so that we could have a single front rather than a single developer
33 reverting changes randomly.
34
35 [1]:http://www.iec.ch/si/binary.htm
36 [2]:http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html