From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-04-08
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 08:43:31
1 On Sunday 30 March 2014 10:33:42 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Dnia 2014-03-27, o godz. 09:40:47
3 >
4 > "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> napisał(a):
5 > > The council will be meeing on April 8, 2014 at 1900 UTC. Please bring
6 > > forward any agenda items you would like discussed.
7 >
8 > Before we get into another revert war from patrick, I'd like to raise
9 > the following item:
10 >
11 > - use of ISO/IEC binary prefixes vs ambiguous 'mega' prefixes
12 >
13 > Quick explanation:
14 >
15 > ISO/IEC prefixes [1,2]: KiB (kibibyte), MiB (mebi-), GiB (gibi-)
16 > -- unambiguously 2^10, 2^20, 2^30
17 >
18 > 'old' prefixes: kB (kilobyte), MB (mega-), GB (giga-)
19 > -- can mean 10^3 or 2^10 etc. depending on author's intention
20 > -- SI people tend to use 10^N for consistency with other units
23 base-10 bytes make no sense.
24
25 A "3TB" disk has 2.7TB actual capacity since it's three trillion bytes, and
26 not something that makes sense in a base-2 world.
27
28 It'd be a lot easier to ignore the marketingbytes used for storage and
29 consistently use bits and bytes in base-2 ... (which is the natural way for
30 bits to end up as they are inherently binary)
31
32 ... but it looks like people prefer inventing some horribad wordenings like
33 maybebytes to avoid this confusion.
34
35 I strongly recommend not using base-10 bytes or inventing new words to work
36 around the ambiguity created by stupid people, and I hope I don't have to
37 tolerate having a three trellobyte disk. 'cause that would be very sad. And
38 then I'd have to complain every single time I see that stupidity printed out.