From: "Jakov Smolić" <jsmolic@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for nominees
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2022 17:34:46
1 On 7/1/22 20:58, John Helmert III wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jul 01, 2022 at 01:28:51PM -0500, John Helmert III wrote:
3 >> Gentoo is a community project. The health of a community project
4 >> relies on being controlled by that community. Many developers, and
5 >> even council nominees, have employers who many may see as not having
6 >> the best interest of open source communities at heart. Note that I do
7 >> *not* think that one's employer makes them less valuable as a
8 >> contributor, or even that developers employed by certain companies are
9 >> unsuitable to be on council. Still, I think that it's important to
10 >> keep in mind any potential conflicts of interest between Gentoo and
11 >> one's employer.
12 >>
13 >> Thus, I have these questions for nominees:
14 >>
15 >> Does your employer use Gentoo?If elected to council, could this
16 >> produce a conflict of interest between your employer and Gentoo? If
17
18 Yes, my employer does use Gentoo. I work in a small Croatian company
19 that focuses on embedded Linux development. We
20 use Gentoo in one of our projects, a custom build system for embedded
21 devices (something similar to OpenWRT and Yocto).
22 However, I am working on a different project (with different OS and
23 tooling) since early this year, so I don't see any possible conflicts
24 happening there (even if I do work on it again I doubt any conflicts
25 would arise as my Gentoo work there revolved around merely upstreaming
26 bug fixes we encountered while using Gentoo).
27
28 All of my Gentoo contributions related with my day job were various
29 improvements (e.g. updating an outdated package, adding support for
30 missing useful features or packages, fixing cross-compilation bugs,
31 etc.) so I believe these changes were useful to the whole community and
32 not just my company. We also have a local overlay for all packages
33 and patches that don't make sense having in ::gentoo.
34
35 >> so, how would you handle the conflict?
36
37 I'd never deliberately make changes or influence decisions that would be
38 detrimental to Gentoo.
39 If elected to Council and ever find myself in a situation where conflict
40 harmful to Gentoo is unavoidable, I will resign from my Council position.
43 > I'll start: I currently have no employer and thus can answer these
44 > questions with "N/A".
47 Jakov