From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Items for Council Agenda, May 14
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 20:28:36
1 On czw, 2017-05-11 at 15:57 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 12:45 PM, Luis Ressel <aranea@×××××.de> wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 11 May 2017 02:17:59 -0500
4 > > Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > I ask the council to establish a procedure / team to moderate the
7 > > > gentoo-project@ and gentoo-dev@ mailing lists:
8 > >
9 > > I really don't see the point of this. Yes, there are a few messages on
10 > > our mailing lists that some of us don't want to see. But as long as
11 > > we're not drowning in in a tsunami of spam that practically DOSes our
12 > > infrastructure, I think we're better of letting the *readers* take care
13 > > of filtering.
16 > The obvious counterargument is that they'll take care of the filtering
17 > by simply unsubscribing. We don't want people to avoid us. If
18 > somebody looks at our list archives and see lots of flames, they may
19 > be discouraged from participating. If somebody posts a bug and
20 > somebody replies saying that xyz on Gentoo is dead and that you'd be
21 > better off on another distro, they'll probably take that advice
22 > ensuring xyz remains dead. Etc.
23 >
24 > It is a bit of "we will not hide problems" vs "not hiding problems
25 > actually causes those problems." Suicide by social contract?
28 There is a fair difference between admitting a problem and spamming
29 the mailing lists (and other media) with someone's personal vengeance.
30 It is bad for Gentoo if users are relentlessly harassed by someone's
31 problem with Gentoo. It is even worse when Gentoo does not even attempt
32 to prevent that.
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny