From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Items for Council Agenda, May 14
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 19:57:54
1 On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 12:45 PM, Luis Ressel <aranea@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 11 May 2017 02:17:59 -0500
3 > Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I ask the council to establish a procedure / team to moderate the
6 >> gentoo-project@ and gentoo-dev@ mailing lists:
7 >
8 > I really don't see the point of this. Yes, there are a few messages on
9 > our mailing lists that some of us don't want to see. But as long as
10 > we're not drowning in in a tsunami of spam that practically DOSes our
11 > infrastructure, I think we're better of letting the *readers* take care
12 > of filtering.
15 The obvious counterargument is that they'll take care of the filtering
16 by simply unsubscribing. We don't want people to avoid us. If
17 somebody looks at our list archives and see lots of flames, they may
18 be discouraged from participating. If somebody posts a bug and
19 somebody replies saying that xyz on Gentoo is dead and that you'd be
20 better off on another distro, they'll probably take that advice
21 ensuring xyz remains dead. Etc.
22
23 It is a bit of "we will not hide problems" vs "not hiding problems
24 actually causes those problems." Suicide by social contract?
27 Rich