From: NP-Hardass <np.hardass@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Recruitment issues and potential improvement
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 05:35:58
1 Rich Freeman <rich0 <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 10:57 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin <at> gentoo.org>
5 wrote:
6 > > Why not do both? I have been thinking along those lines too. I think
7 > > improvements are possible in both areas.
8 >
9 > Makes sense, but I'd still be careful with computer-based-testing. I
10 > find that those kinds of stupid quizzes/etc drive me up the wall at
11 > work when I'm taking them (regulated environment, so lots of
12 > compliance-driven stuff like this), so if the goal is to not deter
13 > people from signing up we should make sure they're minimal and
14 > effective. We don't want to say "hey, with this tool we can now ask
15 > the candidates 300 questions and it takes none of our time at all to
16 > grade the responses!"
19 By no means am I suggesting that we should make a super long and complicated
20 computer-based test. Merely suggesting that the current quiz system be
21 augmented by some aspects of it being translated to a CBT which might be a
22 more effective means of gauging the applicant's understanding of a concept.
23 In my opinion, before even designing such a system, a review of quiz content
24 should be undertaken (with the potential CBT in mind, of course).
25
26 I'll also gladly volunteer to be a guinea pig for a rehash of the quiz and/or
27 the addition of a CBT section. I plan to take the quiz eventually, so if you
28 can get something else out of it, I'm more than happy to assist.