From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] List of features proposed for EAPI 5
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 21:02:52
1 On 09/05/2012 12:44 PM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 04-09-2012 12:37:17 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 >> * Slot operator dependencies
4 >> PMS wording: <http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/pms.git;a=commit;h=f9f7729c047300e1924ad768a49c660e12c2f906>
5 >> Portage patch: <http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/portage.git;a=commit;h=e4ba8f36e6a4624f4fec61c7ce8bed0e3bd2fa01>
6 >> Bug: <https://bugs.gentoo.org/229521>
7 >
8 > The Portage patch doesn't match the PMS patch or the bug report. The
9 > Portage patch refers to slot_abi, not slot operator dependencies.
10
11 See the part about "Sub-slots", which are an extension of slot operator
12 dependencies (equivalent to slot_abi in the above patch):
13
14 * Sub-slots
15 PMS wording:
16 <http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/pms.git;a=commit;h=5d6749ac9e5ddc5b1daaad7737b65fa81c6ece47>
17 Portage patch:
18 <http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/portage.git;a=commit;h=e4ba8f36e6a4624f4fec61c7ce8bed0e3bd2fa01>
19 Bug: <https://bugs.gentoo.org/424429>
20
21 > While Bug and PMS wording seem to be included in the Portage patch, the
22 > Portage patch appears to do much more, overloading SLOT with some ABI
23 > information, which Bug and PMS do NOT mention. Instead, they assume
24 > SLOT == ABI, probably as per Gentoo policy.
25 >
26 > - the '/' delimiter in SLOT value is NOT mentioned in PMS
27 > - PMS writes colon is immediately followed by '*' or '='
28 > - Portage docs define a missing sub-slot to be implicitly '0', but when
29 > recording a slot dependency using '=', this default equals the value
30 > of SLOT
31
32 It's in the Sub-slots PMS patch.
33
34 > I'm not sure about sub-slot, and I can't find any case arguing in favour
35 > of this feature.
36
37 There was lots of discussion about it in the "About forcing rebuilds of
38 other packages issue" [1] thread on gentoo-dev. My blog post about EPAI
39 4-slot-abi is a good reference [2].
40
41 > Bug #424429 doesn't tell much more than how to use the
42 > experimental version with an overlay.
43 > Given that the sub-slot feature appears to be behind a special testing
44 > EAPI now, I think it would be fair to at least mention explicitly that
45 > sub-slot is not going to be part of EAPI5 (or this very point) as is.
46
47 It's also included in EAPI 5_pre1 [3], and given that sub-slots are
48 already in the PMS eapi-5 branch, I've regarded it as a foregone
49 conclusion that they'd be accepted in EAPI 5. I've even renamed all of
50 the "slot-abi" stuff to refer to "slot-operator" in the portage sources [4].
51
52 [1]
53 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_f0e171be0f12abac2a10069e05e43c73.xml
54 [2]