From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] List of features proposed for EAPI 5 (was: Council meeting: Tuesday 11 September 2012, 19:00 UTC)
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 21:02:20
1 On 04-09-2012 12:37:17 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > * Slot operator dependencies
3 > PMS wording: <http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/pms.git;a=commit;h=f9f7729c047300e1924ad768a49c660e12c2f906>
4 > Portage patch: <http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/portage.git;a=commit;h=e4ba8f36e6a4624f4fec61c7ce8bed0e3bd2fa01>
5 > Bug: <https://bugs.gentoo.org/229521>
6
7 The Portage patch doesn't match the PMS patch or the bug report. The
8 Portage patch refers to slot_abi, not slot operator dependencies.
9
10 While Bug and PMS wording seem to be included in the Portage patch, the
11 Portage patch appears to do much more, overloading SLOT with some ABI
12 information, which Bug and PMS do NOT mention. Instead, they assume
13 SLOT == ABI, probably as per Gentoo policy.
14
15 - the '/' delimiter in SLOT value is NOT mentioned in PMS
16 - PMS writes colon is immediately followed by '*' or '='
17 - Portage docs define a missing sub-slot to be implicitly '0', but when
18 recording a slot dependency using '=', this default equals the value
19 of SLOT
20
21 I'm not sure about sub-slot, and I can't find any case arguing in favour
22 of this feature. Bug #424429 doesn't tell much more than how to use the
23 experimental version with an overlay.
24 Given that the sub-slot feature appears to be behind a special testing
25 EAPI now, I think it would be fair to at least mention explicitly that
26 sub-slot is not going to be part of EAPI5 (or this very point) as is.
30 Fabian Groffen
31 Gentoo on a different level