From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Hiding problems, breach of Gentoo Social Contract
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2016 22:21:03
1 On Saturday, December 3, 2016 9:34:07 PM EST Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 >
3 > imho, only proves that some people are even resistant to that (learning
4 > "social skills").
5
6 IMHO, This trying for force other to learn based on others perception is part
7 of the problem. People perceive others to lack social skills. Whom they have
8 not met, directly interacted with, nor worked with. Nor would many be working
9 with them moving forward. Not to mention culture and language differences.
10
11 Specific to me, while many question my social skills. One fact that remains is
12 I have represented Gentoo as its public face at very large conventions, Linux
13 World Expo. Which to my knowledge is the largest event that Gentoo has ever
14 been represented at. I helped man the Gentoo booth 2 years in a row. It would
15 have been a 3rd, the final year of LWE, but Gentoo failed to obtain a booth.
16 Any Gentoo Developer and other that has met me, I think would hold a different
17 perception of my social skills.
18
19 It is interesting how someone can represent Gentoo in an official capacity
20 publicly. Interacting with people in person face to face. Yet online others
21 will question such individual based on even say a few hundred posts over a
22 brief period of time. I probably talked to hundreds of people each day at LWE
23 about Gentoo...
24
25 I think there needs to be less judgment all around. I do not think others need
26 to be calling into question others "social skills". Now if that is your
27 profession, hold degrees in such a field, etc. Then it makes a bit more sense.
28 But with all the various cultures, language differences, etc. I think judging
29 someones social skills based on cyber indirect interaction is quite poor.
30
31 Any judgment goes against the CoC, and saying someone lacks social skills in a
32 form of judgment, not to mention an insult. I think a better way to phrase
33 such would be not right, or not fit for the culture. To make comments such as
34 person A lacks social skills I think is wrong. I would never say such!
37 William L. Thomson Jr.