From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Formally have Council oversee the Foundation 2.0
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 17:59:15
1 On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 12:35 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Monday, January 16, 2017 11:56:43 AM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>
5 >> And nobody really has a choice about whether they'll handle lawsuits.
6 >> If you own property, then you better have a plan for handling
7 >> lawsuits. I suspect that SPI has thought this through a bit more than
8 >> we have historically.
9 >
10 > The SPI is not a legal management entity. You are confusing fiscal with legal.
13 Again, I think you're thinking I'm saying I'm not.
14
15 I'm not saying that the Gentoo Foundation should retain the legal
16 services of SPI. I'm saying that they should turn over their property
17 to SPI and cease to exist. At that point we don't need legal
18 services, because we legally don't exist.
19
20 >> In any case, the point is that if Gentoo moves under SPI then there
21 >> would be no "Gentoo" to sue. "Gentoo" would be a trademark of SPI.
22 >> Any copyrights on our works that are held centrally would belong to
23 >> SPI. Our money would be stored in SPI bank accounts. So, if you want
24 >> our stuff, you have to sue SPI.
25 >
26 > Completely WRONG!
27 >
28 > "Project Independence
29 > SPI does not own, govern or control the associated projects."
30 > http://www.spi-inc.org/projects/relationship/
31
32 They wouldn't own the project. They would own our assets. They
33 wouldn't control anything.
36 Rich