From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Formally have Council oversee the Foundation 2.0
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 18:13:22
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 12:35 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
3 > <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Monday, January 16, 2017 11:56:43 AM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >>> And nobody really has a choice about whether they'll handle lawsuits.
6 >>> If you own property, then you better have a plan for handling
7 >>> lawsuits. I suspect that SPI has thought this through a bit more than
8 >>> we have historically.
9 >> The SPI is not a legal management entity. You are confusing fiscal with legal.
10 >>
11 > Again, I think you're thinking I'm saying I'm not.
12 >
13 > I'm not saying that the Gentoo Foundation should retain the legal
14 > services of SPI. I'm saying that they should turn over their property
15 > to SPI and cease to exist. At that point we don't need legal
16 > services, because we legally don't exist.
19 I have been looking at the SPI website, other than managing money and
20 controlling assets, SPI does not appear to do anything else management
21 wise. Do you have a link to the SPI website that says it does what you
22 claim?
23
24 >>> In any case, the point is that if Gentoo moves under SPI then there
25 >>> would be no "Gentoo" to sue. "Gentoo" would be a trademark of SPI.
26 >>> Any copyrights on our works that are held centrally would belong to
27 >>> SPI. Our money would be stored in SPI bank accounts. So, if you want
28 >>> our stuff, you have to sue SPI.
29 >> Completely WRONG!
30 >>
31 >> "Project Independence
32 >> SPI does not own, govern or control the associated projects."
33 >> http://www.spi-inc.org/projects/relationship/
34 > They wouldn't own the project. They would own our assets. They
35 > wouldn't control anything.
38 They would own the assets but I have found nothing that says Gentoo
39 can't be sued still or that SPI would provide a defense for Gentoo. The
40 only case I can think of, if the IRS comes after Gentoo and SPI is
41 handling the money and paperwork. Then SPI would step in.
42
43 I'd be interested in a link that shows what you claim. I can't find it
44 and neither has my google searches.
45
46 Dale
47