From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Fw: Your temporary 2 week suspension on interacting on the Gentoo Github page
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 15:27:10
1 On 14/05/2017 16:29, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 14:56:03 +0200
3 > From: David Seifert <soap@g.o>
4 > To: wlt-ml@××××××.com
5 > Cc: comrel@g.o, infra@g.o, github@g.o
6 > Subject: Your temporary 2 week suspension on interacting on the Gentoo
7 > Github page
8 >
9 > Dear William,
10 >
11 > Gentoo's Github team has unanimously decided to prevent you from
12 > posting and/or interacting with most projects hosted on Gentoo's Github
13 > page for 2 weeks. This was done in response to your comment
14 >
15 > https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/1721#issuecomment-300178677
16 >
17 > which is not the place to post comments and recount how Gentoo Java is
18 > struggling with its staffing needs at the moment or historically. The
19 > Github page and review functionality are for code-centric feedback and
20 > technical discussions, not about Gentoo-meta issues or the like. We
21 > want to keep the Github page a friendly environment for all non-Gentoo
22 > contributors.
23
24 I'd like to share some thoughts on this (hopefully not making things
25 even worse):
26
27 1. William, posts like above
28 (<https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/1721#issuecomment-300178677>)
29 don't seem to help your case. GitHub could be one of the last few places
30 where Gentoo would be able to accept contributions from you as a
31 non-developer.
32
33 2. The ban is not permanent (yet?) - my understanding is it expires in
34 two weeks. This still gives you chance to positively contribute to
35 Gentoo. Based on the experience so far, I'd urge you to limit it to
36 uncontroversial technical matters, at least for some time.
37
38 3. I can understand the frustration of people involved. The PR did not
39 land in ~year, even though the ebuilds added were hard-masked. The risk
40 of landing it was minimal, and it could provide good basis for further
41 contributions. Let me know if I missed an important reason not to let it
42 land. Finding some way to un-block developments like these could be one
43 of more productive directions for this conversation.
44
45 Paweł