From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: comrel changes
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 06:35:45
1 On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 9:39 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 2020-02-21 at 22:11 +0000, Roy Bamford wrote:
4 > > On 2020.02.21 09:19, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > > On Thu, 2020-02-20 at 22:24 +0100, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
6 > > > > Alec Warner schrieb:
7 > > > >
8 > > > > > I'm a little bit concerned that this addresses the symptoms
9 > > > instead of the problem. Have you shared your concerns with comrel
10 > > > regarding their lack of timely communication on reported issues? Do
11 > > > they even share the same goals you enumerated?
12 > > > > > My strawperson argument is that:
13 > > > > > - (0) The council will elect some lead.
14 > > > > > - The lead will never write reports (or write them but stop.)
15 > > > > > - The lead will get removed per policy.
16 > > > > > - Council will elect a new lead.
17 > > > > > - GOTO 0
18 > > > >
19 > > > > My suggestion is in that case of missed report deadline, Council
20 > > > asks for
21 > > > > volunteers from the developer community to step up, and appoints two
22 > > > of them
23 > > > > to go through ComRel records and produce the transparency report.
24 > > > >
25 > > > > Regular independent review of ComRel activity is what NeddySeagoon
26 > > > and I
27 > > > > originally suggested and discussed with ComRel a while back. But
28 > > > they seemed
29 > > > > completely against it, so we eventually dropped it.
30 > > > >
31 > > >
32 > > > All things considered, maybe creating a separate 'revision' group
33 > > > would
34 > > > be better, independently of the reports. Either split ComRel in two,
35 > > > or
36 > > > appoint something independent. Let 'core' ComRel do their work, while
37 > > > the 'revision' group merely monitor their activities without getting
38 > > > directly involved in the process.
39 > >
40 > > This 'revision' group alread exists. Its called the Gentoo council.
41 > > Unless, that is, council have no oversight of comrel?
42 >
43 > No, that's not how things work. You don't have an appeal body
44 > proactively look into what all projects are doing.
47 I think by definition this is reactive. Comrel publishes a report[0], and
48 the Council[1] reviews it. Could it lead to horrific fishing expeditions?
49 Sure. But there is always risk in oversight. Building an ideal system is
50 not possible; there are trade offs in engineering and there are tradeoffs
51 in organizational structure and accountability.
52
53 In some new system where there is oversight of comrel we will have people
54 who can peek into the decision making process and:
55 - leak private details
56 - potentially reverse decisions
57 - potentially force action with incomplete information (e.g. to meet some
58 arbitrary deadline to "make cases be resolved faster."
59
60 These are all potential risks. Will they happen? Hard to know without
61 trying.
62
63 -A
64
65 [0] FWIW the Trustees are also potentially interested in the report.
66 [1] The council can always delegate it to someone. Accountability (I am
67 accountable for X) and Responsibility (I will literally do X) are not the
68 same thing.
72 > --
73 > Best regards,
74 > Michał Górny