From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 00:18:38
1 On 13/02/18 00:16, M. J. Everitt wrote:
2 > On 13/02/18 00:13, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 6:40 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
4 >>> On 12/02/18 23:02, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
5 >>>> Can you provide us with an example when such a scenario has happened
6 >>>> in the past 12 years of council, or is the above purely hypothetical?
7 >>>> Because in the latter case it is not an actual problem that needs to
8 >>>> be solved.
9 >>>>
10 >>>> It is not a game of Nomic that we're playing here, but we are trying
11 >>>> to run a distro. IMHO precluding council members from participating in
12 >>>> projects isn't helpful. Or do we really want a council that is sitting
13 >>>> in an ivory tower, completely detached from the daily distro work?
14 >>>>
15 >>> Uhm, what's the difference .. the council already live in their own land
16 >>> separate from most of the developers, and definitely from the user
17 >>> community at large ?
18 >>>
19 >>> Or at least, such is the perception .. [don't shoot the messenger and
20 >>> all that]
21 >>>
22 >> Such is your perception. Most developers just cast their votes, and
23 >> hence the same council members keep getting re-elected. I doubt that
24 >> would happen if most developers considered them aloof, especially
25 >> since the Council has always attracted a significant number of
26 >> election candidates.
27 >>
28 >> You can't judge something like this by mailing list posts.
29 >>
30 > My synopsis is gathered from a number of conversations, Rich, and
31 > definitely not the noise that emanates from both developers and
32 > non-developers on /any/ of the mailing lists ..
33 >
34 Although, it would be fair to say I was biased, since I'm not privy to
35 the ivy towers or clique that controls [sic] Gentoo ...
36
37 So far as it could also be said I was actively disliked by them already...