From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2015 15:27:11
1 On 10/08/2015 05:01 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 >
3 > So perhaps it was unwise for us to get into a situation where either 1)
4 > we violate the Social Contract or 2) we have to surmount a technically
5 > difficult situation.
8 Sorry to jump in without contributing anything useful, but this has been
9 really going on for too long.
10
11 We do not violate the Social Contract in any way. Anyone is free to fork
12 gentoo and serve it on mirrors which run totally proprietary software
13 and accept contributions there.
14
15 But gentoo does _not_ depend on that infrastructure, because we still
16 have our own mirrors and contribution platforms.
17
18 If people use alternative platforms, then that is their own choice. And
19 a lot of gentoo developers and overlays do that since years (you'd have
20 to shut all of them down, including the gentoo github organization).
21 However, it has never deprecated our own infrastructure channels and as
22 long as that is true, all these "social contract violated" mails are
23 pure FUD.
24
25 So yes, 2) is correct, 1) not.
28 So, now to the useful part:
29
30 In case infra cares, there's an alternative solution to gitlab which is
31 called gogs [0]. Previously it was lacking pull request support and
32 because of that it was pretty useless as a contribution platform. But
33 that has been implemented now [1]. The only deal-breaker left are
34 performance problems with repositories which have a huge amount of
35 folders (like gentoo) [2].
36 It is very easy to deploy and there are numerous docker images [3][4]
37 available.
38 It also supports Github OAuth, which will make it painless for drive-by
39 contributors.
42 [0] http://gogs.io/
43 [1] https://github.com/gogits/gogs/issues/5
44 [2] https://github.com/gogits/gogs/issues/1518
45 [3] https://github.com/gogits/gogs/tree/master/docker
46 [4] https://github.com/hasufell/docker-gentoo-gogs
47
48 omg... those are all hosted on github! social contract to the rescue