From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2015 15:01:57
1 On 10/8/15 10:09 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 > Dnia 8 października 2015 14:58:14 CEST, "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> napisał(a):
4 >> On 10/8/15 8:42 AM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
5 >>> Hello all,
6 >>>
7 >>> On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 20:45:10 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
8 >>>> The second issue that may need Council's attention is developers'
9 >>>> attitude towards pull request source via GitHub.
10 >>>>
11 >>>> One and a half month since enabling it, we already had almost 150
12 >> pull
13 >>>> requests from Gentoo users (and a few Gentoo developers who use this
14 >> as
15 >>>> a collaboration tool). Sadly, some developers not only refuse to use
16 >>>> GitHub (which is an acceptable choice) but also have very negative
17 >>>> attitude towards users submitting pull requests and the developers
18 >>>> helping with them.
19 >>>>
20 >>>> The point is, if we want users to submit pull requests, we should be
21 >>>> handling them. Then we can't really agree on some developer refusing
23 >>>> look at the request, and requesting the user to re-send it some
24 >> other,
25 >>>> less convenient way. Or another developer just silently ignoring
26 >> every
27 >>>> request and rudely responding to pings.
28 >>>>
29 >>>> Since the amount of work necessary to proxy between users
30 >>>> and developers who refuse to use GitHub is huge, I have prepared
31 >>>> a script that opens Bugzilla bugs for GitHub pull requests
32 >>>> and bidirectionally copies comments between them, therefore allowing
33 >>>> Gentoo developers to handle pull requests via Bugzilla at their
34 >>>> convenience. However, it is currently waiting for review and
35 >> approval
36 >>>> by Robin before it will get deployed.
37 >>>>
38 >>>> But even then, I need to make sure the developers will actually use
39 >> it
40 >>>> politely. Developers can't really close those bugs 'because it's
41 >>>> GitHub', or 'attach a patch', or 'duplicate of #nnnnnn' (because
42 >>>> it's a synced bug, it can't be magically coerced into existing bug).
43 >>>> In fact, I mailed bug-wranglers about this already but I got no
44 >> reply.
45 >>> I'd like to ask the Council to consider pros and cons of this issue
46 >>> with extreme care. Benefits and dangers of the integration with the
47 >>> proprietary GitHub service were discussed many times already,
48 >>> starting from [1].
49 >>>
50 >>> While the GitHub integration allows to receive a bit more
51 >>> contributions, it contains long-term dangers of the Gentoo Social
52 >>> Contract violation and loosing independence of the infrastructure
53 >>> and the development workflow itself.
54 >>>
55 >>> I propose that we should draw a line which should not be crossed to
56 >>> satisfy both the Social Contract and freedom of people to use
57 >>> whatever tools they want, including GitHub. As a first approximation
58 >>> I suggest the following:
59 >>>
60 >>> All connections with external infrastructure should be done in a
61 >>> such way, that in case this external infrastructure will instantly
62 >>> and permanently disappear, we should not loss any valuable data
63 >>> and metadata, including commits, commit history, discussions,
64 >>> patches, issues, bug reports and so on.
65 >> Thanks for this language Andrew. It reflects my concerns and I can
66 >> support it in the council.
67 >>
68 >>> As far as I understand Mgorny's proposal, it implies that pull
69 >>> request issues and patches will be mirrored on bugzilla, but not
70 >>> patches themselves. In my opinion this is not acceptable, since
71 >>> violates both the Social Contract (by dependence on propietary
72 >>> metadata, such as GitHub issues (and pull request is a special type
73 >>> of issue on GitHub)) and Bugzilla's policy of having all patches
74 >>> attached to the Bugzilla.
75 >> I'm hopeful that Michal will be able to figure out a technical
76 >> solution.
77 >>
78 >> I have one situation where I wanted a user to post his patches to our
79 >> bugzilla for discussions but he did not. As a result I was unable to
80 >> discuss them on our bugzilla, nor commit them in their current state.
81 >> I
82 >> could have discussed them on github but I did not want to create a long
83 >>
84 >> discussion history there, since that's supposed to be on bugzilla. So
87 > I see a few problems with that:
88 >
89 > 1. Should we create separate patches for each commit? If we don't, we discard history.
90 >
91 > 2. Should we attach the patches separately or tar them? The latter is inconvenient, the former can create a lot of patches.
92 >
93 > 3. Each update implies mass obsoleting of all patches.
94 >
95 > 4. Bugzilla has attachment size limit that we'd have to account for.
96 >
97 > Now imagine a pull request doing mass fixing. Git can handle that with ease. For bugzie it will be a serious mess.
98 >
99 > Potential alternative is to back-mirror pull requests in git.gentoo.org and work on that. But that's likely to cause even more uproar.
100
101 So perhaps it was unwise for us to get into a situation where either 1)
102 we violate the Social Contract or 2) we have to surmount a technically
103 difficult situation.
104
105 Perhaps those responsible for doing so should fix this.
108 >>> I honestly do not understand why developers should be forced to
109 >>> violate the Social contract under the excuse of "being polite" to
110 >>> GitHub contributors nor why such actions should be allowed at all.
111 >> There may be a technical solution where we can mirror pull requests,
112 >> bugs and patches on bugzilla.
113 >>
114 >> As a side note, this approach to pushing through agendas by creating
115 >> situations where its easier to accept a "solution" rather than reject
116 >> it
117 >> is not going to work in Gentoo. We have lots of smart people that see
118 >> through this. If we wind up being "impolite" to our users, the blame
119 >> belongs to those who created that situation in the first place, not to
120 >> the council. The Social Contract is correct and I'm not going to
121 >> support anything that violates it.
122 >>
123 >>> [1]
124 >>>
125 >> https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/27e8b99db6fcd2654fc2548a605f0b70
126 >>> Best regards,
127 >>> Andrew Savchenko
131 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
132 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
133 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
134 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
135 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA